Answered

How to add new speakers and remove old ones?

• 13 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +2
I'm upgrading to new speakers and am not sure how to go about the setup. My current system is:

Kitchen
– Ceiling (wired speakers with Connect Amp)
– Play:1

Living Room
– Two Play:3s

Master Bedroom
– Play:1

The new system will be:

Kitchen
– Ceiling (wired speakers with Connect Amp)
– Two Sonos Ones

Living Room
– Play:5
– Sonos One

Master Bedroom
– Sonos One

Is it just a question of unplugging the current speakers, plugging in the new ones, and setting them up with the appropriate room names/groups?

One reason I ask is that I used to have wired speakers in the living room wall, connected to a Connect Amp. The speakers are no longer there (long story), but the wires are still connected to the Connect Amp and it is still on. Is this why these speakers still appear in the list of options to stream to within the Sonos app?

I don't want to end up with a long list of old speakers that I'm not using anymore in the app.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 October 2018, 15:53

Thanks Ken. I'm not adding any new wired speakers to the CA. In fact, one of my current issues is that I had a pair of speakers that was connected to a CA that isn't any longer. The CA still appears in the Sonos App, which is kind of annoying since nothing is connected to it.

I just unplugged that CA. Now it no longer appears in the app, which is good. But when I tried to update to 9.2, I got an error message (1002), which said that it couldn't find "Living Room (Old)", which is this CA that I unplugged.

Is there no way to remove a CA? Seems like there should be.

Just close (fully) and reopen the App and see if that fixes it.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If you are simply attaching new third-party speakers to the CA then there’s nothing to add there within the Sonos App... it’s only interested in the CA, which is already setup.

If you are replacing a Sonos device like a Connect:Amp for example, with say a Play:5 Speaker and you want to use the (old) same room name, then I would advise you to rename the room of the CA first to something completely different and then disconnect it. Then Add the new Play:5, giving it the original CA's room name. The old CA will simply disappear from the App when you switch it off.

You may need to close and reopen the Sonos App fully to refresh what you see on screen of your controlling device.

All adding is done via the 'Add new Player or Sub' feature in the Sonos App Settings.

Changing a room name is done in the Settings/Room Settings ...and then going to the relevant room in order to rename it.

Hope that helps ?
Badge +2
Thanks Ken. I'm not adding any new wired speakers to the CA. In fact, one of my current issues is that I had a pair of speakers that was connected to a CA that isn't any longer. The CA still appears in the Sonos App, which is kind of annoying since nothing is connected to it.

I just unplugged that CA. Now it no longer appears in the app, which is good. But when I tried to update to 9.2, I got an error message (1002), which said that it couldn't find "Living Room (Old)", which is this CA that I unplugged.

I should have perhaps added that you can actually get away with just simply switching off the old Connect:Amp in my stated example above and close and reopen the Sonos App and then add the Play:5 Speaker to replace it, but it’s good practice to rename the room first when replacing it, as you may decide later to utilise the CA somewhere else in your home and just by switching it back on, it will return to your Sonos Household without having to reset it and set it up again.

Note however if you do sell on any sonos device to first factory-reset it.

Just close (fully) and reopen the App and see if that fixes it.
Or you can switch the CA back on and update it.. then switch it off.

If you intend to keep the CA, I would continue to update it anyway, from time to time, because if it gets too far out of date, it may cease to update without getting some additional help from Sonos Support Staff.
Badge +2
Yea! Force quitting Sonos and restarting enabled me to update, and the old CA no longer appears in the list. Fantastic!