Question

How does the sub hook up to my sonos network?

I've got four Sonos Ones, one in each room of my house. I want to get a sub to put in my living room. How will that work? Does it somehow get paired specifically with the One in the living room? Or is it just a normal part of the network, and I can add it to a specific group?

10 replies

You choose which speaker it is paired with - or rather you can choose a Play speaker, stereo pair, Connect:Amp, Playbar or Playbase (with or without surrounds)
Okay thanks.

So I'm considering putting it in the middle space of this thing. Is there any reason that it wouldn't be a good idea? It'd be enclosed on five sides, I don't know if the sub works better if it has more open space around it.

This thread has a reply from a Sonos staff member.

https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/can-you-hear-the-subwoofer-if-it-s-in-a-cabinet-6065781
So I guess it’ll be fine since the front is open, and the sub isn’t completely boxed in?
It isn't ideal but something that Trueplay tuning should address. You will be able to see the effect of Trueplay by toggling it on/off via the controller and in this case the difference will be dramatic, I suspect. From noticeable bass bloat to a cleaner, tighter bass with Trueplay on. You can then pick the sound you like out of the two choices!
Can you not place it along the wall on either side of the cabinet? That is what I would do, and perhaps you can see how it sounds there as well first. Before and after Trueplay.
Yeah I could put it along the wall. I could also put it right on top because I’m getting rid of the TV.

In any case, I guess I’ll just get it and see where it sounds good :)
That experimenting is the best way to it, and is easily done with Sonos kit.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Pat M wrote:

Yeah I could put it along the wall. I could also put it right on top because I’m getting rid of the TV.

In any case, I guess I’ll just get it and see where it sounds good :)

To back up what Kumar has stated, it is always better to have a Sub on the floor, as this will improve the audio quality and effect. I personally would never place my Sub, regardless of manufacturer, in a cabinet.
You can put it in a cabinet but I wouldn’t do it. If you listen to anything with low frequencies at a decent volume you will problem hear tons of noise from vibrations. Either the cabinet itself or stuff sitting on it
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I was thinking the same, I'd be concerned that the glass would rattle if you placed it in the cabinet. Maybe some inventiveness with insulation tape would fix that, though. Had the same issue with a living room cabinet and a guitar amplifier.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings