Answered

How do you group sonos systems for an alarm

Badge
  • Contributor III
  • 7 replies
The alarm setup has 'Include Grouped Rooms' however how do you create such a group using the App?
Have three PLAY 1's in three different rooms and would like two have two of these rooms grouped for an Alarm.

more->New Alarms->room->'Include Grouped Rooms'
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 1 March 2018, 03:12

Hi Rob

Learn how to Group Rooms by clicking the link. Although you can create Grouped Rooms before or after setting the alarm IMO it's better done before. By doing so you just have to push the "Include Grouped Rooms" to Green while you are in the Alarm setup page. Easy!

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4002/kw/grouping

Cheers!

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Hi Rob

Learn how to Group Rooms by clicking the link. Although you can create Grouped Rooms before or after setting the alarm IMO it's better done before. By doing so you just have to push the "Include Grouped Rooms" to Green while you are in the Alarm setup page. Easy!

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4002/kw/grouping

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
My problem is not to set the groups, but the fact that the groups are "unbundled" before the due time. Let me clarify with an example . I have an alarm set for the morning involving master bedroom+bathroom+kitchen. Now during the day to listen music in different times of the day these units are grouped differently: The result is that the following morning the master bedroom start on time, but the group is not there to follow !
Add to it the fact that the unit in my Master bedroom is a playbar, and anytime the TV is on the playbar split for the groups . Typically we use the TV in the evening, and I forgot to recreate the group once the TV is off . ( Nor I would like to have to do so) .

It is a long time I ask a software update to have the alarm itself to be able to create the group just before starting play . It would be so useful ! Il will also allow a sort of "scene" building, just combining a few alarms one after the next !
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Gbfabiani wrote:

It is a long time I ask a software update to have the alarm itself to be able to create the group just before starting play . It would be so useful ! Il will also allow a sort of "scene" building, just combining a few alarms one after the next !

I doubt seriously that your request to have an alarm set or more accurately recreate a group will be something that the Sonos engineers will undertake. At present your best option is to set an alarm for each room for the identical time (or different times). So using your example for a 6AM alarm you would set each one individually _master bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. The alarm would stay active no matter how many times you group, ungroup or make any number of group combinations. Stay WOKE ;)

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks ! That’s what I am currently doing, but this way sync is not perfect and the sound quality is affected by the different speakers in different rooms being slightly unaligned !! Cheers
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
i insist again on my idea to have groups "CREATED" automatically by the alarm itself just before the alarm has to start. I have a playbar in my bedroom, during the evening my wife watch TV, so the playbar automatically become a stand alone speaker, and disconnect from the groups. When TV goes off, it remains disconnected from groups. So I had to set an alarm for it and another for the bathroom-kitchen etc. . Same radio, time lag between the playbar and the bathroom play 1 ..... Not the cleanest solution !!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Fbfabiani is 100% correct. Nobody wants to group rooms every night before bed, and setting multiple alarms means the rooms are not in sync in the morning. That would be extremely annoying.

I want to have my bedroom zone and Sonos One speaker in my kitchen come on in sync at the same time.

I do NOT want to set groups every single night!

This should not be a difficult software change.
btmacdou wrote:

This should not be a difficult software change.

It may not be difficult. Or it may be more difficult than it seems - neither you nor I have anything like enough knowledge about it to have the faintest idea. But there are dozens (hundreds?) of 'nice to have' enhancements requested on this forum, and Sonos has to prioritise its use of resources. Maybe it s just a long way down the priority list, and rightly so?
I'm on the same boat :p. The alarm is set for every weekday but I still have to check the groups before go to bed.
That's right John, it's a "nice to have" as many others and it may require more work than we imagine at first sight.

Let's see if someone else raises the feature request. Maybe Sonos could see how many people have this need though the beta tester surveys.

BTW: same request here but 6 years old: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/grouping-rooms-for-an-alarm-30084

Regards
LP

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings