Answered

How Do I Add My Rega RP1 Turntable to Sonos System Through Connect?

• 16 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Howdy,

I currently have a Denon AVR with Connect so I can listen to the multiple speakers in the room through Sonos and I use the “Media Player” button and corresponding input on the back of the Denon for this. My turntable is currently hooked up to the Denon AVR and I press Phono on the remote to listen to the turntable. I can only listen to the turntable in this room, not through Sonos.

How would I add the turntable to Connect? And would it not run through AVR any longer? If it goes straight to the Connect, do I need to press anything on my Denon Remote to hear the turntable? How would I connect this and what would I have to push to hear it? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 16 September 2022, 21:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Connect the turntable to the Line-In RCA connectors on the Connect.  Note: If your turntable has one, you need to turn on the phono preamp.  If it doesn’t have one, they are pretty inexpensive items to buy.  To listen to your turntable on the Denon, press the media player button.  Set the Line-In to Autoplay in the settings for the Connect.  This will automatically play the Line-In when you drop the needle.  You can also choose the Line-In source on any and all other Sonos devices, regardless of what is playing on the Connect. 

ETA: I just checked, that turntable requires an external preamp.  Like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Phono-Turntable-Preamp-Preamplifier/dp/B00025742A/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=phono+preamp&qid=1663357709&sr=8-3

Badge +1

Thanks you so much! I’ll do it this afternoon… and I just so happen to have a preamp new in box that I’ve been storing for years. This is such great info! Truly appreciate it...

Badge +1

Actually.. one more question. So I do need the preamp. So now… what would be the wiring order?

Pull turntable out of AVR, and put into preamp, then to Connect? As much detail as possible would be great! I’m a novice… Thanks!

Turntable → Preamp → CONNECT’s Line-In

CONNECT’s Line-Out → any DENON analog input except Phono

Operationally, you would select the CONNECT’s Line-In and the DENON analog input.

You may run into a nag if the DENON introduces a sound processing delay. Often there is a “Direct” setting that reduces or eliminates this delay. Sometimes a “Direct” setting also eliminates the tone controls. This “nag” will be an issue only in locations where you can simultaneously hear a DENON and SONOS room.

Badge +1

Gotcha. Awesome. Thanks for the great detail. And I’ll listen for the nag and eliminate it if I need to.