Answered

How can I use a microphone with my Sonos speakers?

• 17 December 2016
  • 3 replies

Guys,

I have an event tonight and would like to use a microphone and have the sound output from my Sonos speakers. Two questions:

(1) Do I have a special type of mic
(2) How do I connect mic to the Sonos system

I currently have a play bar, sub, 2 Play 1s and 1 Play 5. I also have two regular plug in microphones... Help!

- Julius
icon

Best answer by buzz 18 December 2016, 01:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Question (1) rephrased: Do I have to use a special type of microphone
Julius Ace,

You'll need a microphone that is compatible with Line-In or a preamplifier for the microphone that will interface between the microphone and Line-In. Inexpensive microphones designed for home use have the best chance of working. Professional microphones will need the preamp. Note, however, there is about a 70ms delay between Line-In and output from a SONOS player. This will totally frustrate most amateur DJ's.
Buzz,

Thanks a lot for your response. I called Sonos Customer Care and they pretty much let me know that the sound output if I use a mic with the Sonos speakers might not be the best experience, and that I'm better off using a PA system. So I decided to stop trying to hook up a mic to the Sonos. Sounds like you're alluding to something similar. Thanks for your response. Much appreciated!

Julius