Answered

How can I attach a microphone to the analog inputs of my Connect:Amp ?

Dear Sonos Community,
We put in a small pond next to our covered porch where we enjoy Sonos via our Connect:Amp and speakers. A frog has set up residence next to or nearby the pond. We want to broadcast the pond's waterfall sounds and the frog's croaks to other rooms in our house via a microphone connected to the analog inputs of our Sonos Connect:Amp.
Anybody know how this can be done?
Thanks in advance
Jay
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 April 2019, 03:24

You'd need a microphone that generates a line level input. You'd then connect that input into the CONNECT:AMP's analog input, and then use the normal controller functions to send that data to whichever speakers you so choose.

This does amuse me, however. I've got a frog out by the pond by my house that needs no amplification whatsoever, and often wakes me up at night....even with the doors and windows closed.

View original

9 replies

You'd need a microphone that generates a line level input. You'd then connect that input into the CONNECT:AMP's analog input, and then use the normal controller functions to send that data to whichever speakers you so choose.

This does amuse me, however. I've got a frog out by the pond by my house that needs no amplification whatsoever, and often wakes me up at night....even with the doors and windows closed.
Airgetlam... thanks for the reply. I'll try the line level mic... or get a bigger frog !
Laugh. Good luck. Hope your frog doesn't get as loud as mine 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Another option would be a microphone pre-amp to bring your current mike's output up to line levels.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=microphone+preamplifier&crid=3OE5UM60F56KN&sprefix=mic+rophone+preamp%2Caps%2C189&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_18
Yes, I am exploring my options... mic+preamp=line_level... Thanks.
This combo could turn a Sonos sytem into an intercomm or a PA system or baby monitor, or a remotely-controlled spy device. I did some searching and see I am not the first one to ask this kind of question, but the mic+preamp is the cleanest answer I've seen.
Oh, if you've read the other threads, you should know that as an intercom or PA system, this is a horrible thing. The delay on the analog-line in would make this not be feasible as a long term solution. If you're just capturing nature sounds, the delay wouldn't make a difference, but the moment you attempt to use if for voice, it will not be a good experience.
Right, thanks...the A/D delay is non-zero. Looking forward to listening to frogs in non-real-time !
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not just the A/D delay but the buffering Sonos does to allow the firmware to keep all the speakers in sync, remembering something like 50-70 ms delay and too lazy to look it up.
70ms.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings