Home setup

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello

I have a CONNECT on the way which I plan to use to control 6 in-ceiling speakers and 2 in-wall subs (monoprice - all 8 ohms).

My question is, without going the route of buying multiple CONNECT:AMP units, can I use a AVR (Denon S700W) to power all 6 in-ceiling speakers and the 2 in-wall subs?

Would I just put the receiver in multi-channel stereo mode? I think I would need to connect 2 pairs of the speakers in parallel as well.

Many thanks in advance!

6 replies

jharcnc,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

This will work, but in my opinion it will be nasty to operate because you'll have no reasonable way to adjust the relative room volumes.
Userlevel 2
Badge
hmm...maybe I should just spring for two connect:amp boxes then - I have structured wiring already in the rooms

Being in the Sonos forums, I assume that's the most elegant solution!
jharcnc,

This will be a better solution. Are the subs powered or passive?
Userlevel 2
Badge
They are passive. Any problems hooking up a pair of 8 ohm in-ceiling speakers and one passive sub (also 8 ohms) to one CONNECT:AMP?
jharcnc,

This is difficult to answer without having my hands-on. Some passive subwoffers are nasty for the amplifier to drive. Actually, a CONNECT:AMP is one of the better choices for this arrangement. Do the satellite speakers connect to the subwoofer or the amplifier? If satellites connect to the amplifier, the crossover will be awkward at best because the satellites will receive the full range signal.

CONNECT:AMP provides an output for a powered subwoofer. A crossover is automatically inserted when a subwoofer is connected. If you have an old stereo receiver sitting in a closet, you could create your own powered subwoofer when using CONNECT:AMP's subwoofer output. (power switching will be a challenge)
Userlevel 2
Badge
Here are the speakers

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4104&seq=1&format=2

There is a crossover switch (0, -3db, -6db) on them. Any recommendation on setting?

The sub

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083705&p_id=4928&seq=1&format=2

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings