Hiding Wires for Wall Mounted Sonos

• 8 December 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hey everyone,
I'm wanting to mount my Play 1s to the wall and I'm well aware of the many options but I'm not sure what to do about the power chords.

What creative solutions have you guys come up with?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I can't claim it as my own idea, but a good friend of mine has some play:1s on corner shelves. He ran the cord down the wall in the corner, and put painter's tape over it, and then painted on the painter's tape. The corner isn't 90 degrees anymore, but you really don't notice it at all, now that it's the same color as the rest of the room.
Userlevel 2
Rather than running power cable for a long distance, the neatest (but most expensive) solution is to position a power outlet right next to your wall-mount bracket. That way it's mostly obscured from view by the speaker itself, and you can unplug it easily if you need to reboot the unit for whatever reason. I live in Australia, and single outlets are common here, but if you're in North America, have a look at the Bocci 22 which is a series of choices for flush-mounted outlets mudded directly into drywall (or 22 Alternate for any other kind of wall). They look amazing. http://bocci.ca/22-series/ ... if you shorten the Sonos power cable and put your own right-angle plug on the end, you'll end up with a very sexy fitting.

All other options would require extending the power cable, which wouldn't look very neat, IMO.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Keep in mind that trying to run the Play:1's power cables in the wall is a code violation, at least under NEC in the US. There is a vendor selling a wall-mount kit for the Play:1s. It includes an internal power outlet bay and then you run in-wall power to it like it was another outlet, so you can comply with code. I've seen the install videos for it on YouTube; you can probably locate it with a little searching on your own.
Old thread, I know. There is a product out there now that does this all in one piece. It's by Midlite, and is a C7HS-B or -W (for Black and White). It is an in-wall power kit, and the top doubles as a mounting bracket. Perfectly within the rules of the NEC in the US. I've used their other in-wall power kits in the past with great results. I just ordered a pair of these for a customer, we'll see how good they are.
Fascinating. Wish they'd released this 6 months ago :)

Interested to hear your impression, once you've installed it for your customer.
Any updates on the midlite C7HS? What did you think? Anyone else try it?

I use the pro version of the product for customers all the time (C7HS-B-WIP-15) lets us do it all in wall. The mounts have wall rated romex that just needs to be tied into the closest electric box. Final install is very slick, looks like the speaker is right on the wall no cords visible.

https://www.midlite.com/products/product-sku/CategoryID/5/ProductID/179?p=15-Sonos%C2%AE-Speaker-Mount-and-In-Wall-Power-Solution-Black

I use the pro version of the product for customers all the time (C7HS-B-WIP-15) lets us do it all in wall. The mounts have wall rated romex that just needs to be tied into the closest electric box. Final install is very slick, looks like the speaker is right on the wall no cords visible.

https://www.midlite.com/products/product-sku/CategoryID/5/ProductID/179?p=15-Sonos%C2%AE-Speaker-Mount-and-In-Wall-Power-Solution-Black

Can you tell me where to buy the C7HS-W-WIP-15, I cannot find it available to buy...
Did you click on the link to get to the midlite website, and then click on "where to buy" at the top of the page?

For instance, I did, and the closest place to me is 80 miles away.
Did you click on the link to get to the midlite website, and then click on "where to buy" at the top of the page?

For instance, I did, and the closest place to me is 80 miles away.

Unfortunately I can't help with that. But yes it does seem to be restricted to being sold to pros/dealers. I wasn't aware it was a product unavailable to consumers.
My response was to mrossmark1982 :)

I would think that there's probably a consumer version, but if not, I'd also be willing to bet that if you contract a custom installer, they'd likely be willing to order one or a few for the average Joe like me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have worked around restrictions on sales for similar stuff by going to an electrical supply house or contractor and got them to order the parts I needed. They were happy to order them at the commercial rate and sell them to me at the retail price as long as I paid them up-front. One place had install rates so good I had them come do the work for me.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Flexson make short cables for the play models