Help with Sonos Play Bar Setup and TV Screen Size above fireplace

• 29 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Looking to purchase a Sonos Play Bar for our new house and want to get some ideas on where to place it.

The dimensions of the stone width is 61.5". The top portion of the mantle is 51" wide.

I am thinking of mounting the playbar under the tv vertically or setting it on the mantle like in this picture. Which would be preferable?

I also noticed I may have room to mount the playbar vertically below the mantle but wondered in that would look odd.

Any recommendations on preferable setup?

Right now I am trying to decide on a 55" tv vs a 65" tv. Looking at the Sony 900E

The width of a 65" tv is 57" leaving about 2" of stone still exposed on the sides. But this is wider than the mantle.

The width of a 55" tv is 48.4" leaving 6.5" of stone exposed and not wider than the mantle.

Would like the larger screen but dont want to overwhelm the wall and look odd.

Any help greatly appreciated for both Playbar and TV size!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have my tv and playbar above the fireplace. The playbar sits on the mantle, though not laying flat as in your picture. That would direct the sound upwards and not towards the audience. I prefer it sitting as it would if it were mounted on the wall, on the edge of the mantle. Sort of an added bonus is that the playbar does it a pretty good job of hiding wires, a surge protector, a router, and a fire tv...all sitting behind the playbar on the mantle. Maybe your planning put that on nearby cabinets, so less of a benefit for you.

As far as the size of the tv, my tv is around 70", but isn't wider then the mantle. It's on a flat wall too, so not the same as your situation. That said, I'd go as you can without going beyond the stone. I don't think it will look odd if it's wider then the mantle, particular because of the shelves on sides. I'm not an interior decorator though....

Whatever tv size/brand you select, make sure that it has an optical output for the playbar and can pass DD5.1. I am pretty sure Sony will do that, but I'm not an expert on the matter.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a similar setup in my living room and have the Playbar oriented the same as melvimbe. I tried it both ways, sitting flat and on its edge and preferred it on its edge (as if it were wall mounted as melvimbe has it). Admittedly it sounds great both ways, but to my ears marginally better on its edge,

Beautiful room by the way!
I have my tv and playbar above the fireplace. The playbar sits on the mantle, though not laying flat as in your picture. That would direct the sound upwards and not towards the audience. I prefer it sitting as it would if it were mounted on the wall, on the edge of the mantle. Sort of an added bonus is that the playbar does it a pretty good job of hiding wires, a surge protector, a router, and a fire tv...all sitting behind the playbar on the mantle. Maybe your planning put that on nearby cabinets, so less of a benefit for you.

As far as the size of the tv, my tv is around 70", but isn't wider then the mantle. It's on a flat wall too, so not the same as your situation. That said, I'd go as you can without going beyond the stone. I don't think it will look odd if it's wider then the mantle, particular because of the shelves on sides. I'm not an interior decorator though....

Whatever tv size/brand you select, make sure that it has an optical output for the playbar and can pass DD5.1. I am pretty sure Sony will do that, but I'm not an expert on the matter.

Thanks for your comment.

Thoughts on size after seeing my cardboard cutouts? Leaning towards 60"

55": https://i.imgur.com/Sprz12w.png

60": https://i.imgur.com/7Jh7b1A.png