I’ve been using this set up for a while but it’s optimal (especially for playlists) so wondering fi someone has figured out a “better” to do it.
- I have 3 Sonos speakers (2 old “5’s” and more modern “1”)
- Still using Sonos S1 controller on my Mac and iPhone
- Macbook Air (recent) running Big Sur 10.6.5
- Old WdMyCloud NAS
- Sonos Library points to wdmycloud/public/sharedmusic/ and within that i have all my music folders copied from the iTunes music library.
I buy music from ITunes/Apple Music or Rip Cds, and store them on my local Music folders on my Macbook.
Then I usually copy the folders correspondent to the new albums over to the /sharedmusic/folder on my wedmycloud that Sonos points to.
My “issues” are:
- I wonder if ther’s an easier way to automatically copy new music that goes intio my local Music folders to the NAS (I always see some “automatically copy shortcut” in the iTunes folder but don’t understand it
- more importantly, my playlists from Music don’t get imported to Sonos and I”m not sure how. I understand they are in an XML file but not sure how to make that file go into Sonos so when i make playlists on my Macbook, Sonos can use them too (or at least copy them over).
Why do I keep the music on my Macbook? I think 1) to have a backup (i.e. I have cloud backup overnight so my music gets a 3rd backup in the cloud) and 2) so i have it if I leave home.