Answered

HELP PLEASE Sonos at University

So I've moved into halls of residence for university and brought my Sonos play one with me. I first struggled to get it to connect to the wifi here and after sorting that out which seems to have worked I now cannot play any music through my speaker which is a pain. I cannot add any music services. Any idea how to solve this? Thank you.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 14 September 2017, 14:11

jec's got the right idea here. Most school (and enterprise in general) networks are set up with...

• Wi-Fi that requires username and password authentication, either through the Wi-Fi itself or a "captive portal" login page - Sonos doesn't support either of these.
  • Wi-Fi that isolates devices connected, so devices cannot communicate with each other. This will prevent the controller app on your phone/laptop from communicating with the speaker when both are wireless.
  • Wi-Fi networks that are separate from wired networks. This would prevent a computer wired to the network from communicating with the Sonos speaker.
  • Wired networks that may be set up to disconnect the port when a certain kind of packet (which Sonos happens to use) is detected, preventing you from using the speaker while wired to the network

There might even be more things than these that have the potential to affect Sonos use, but these are usually the most common. If your school will let you, you could get a travel router, have that connect to the school Wi-Fi, then connect your Sonos and your phone to the travel router instead... but since you'll be creating a new Wi-Fi network, you might want to check with your school first... there might even be things in place to prevent those from working.

View original

4 replies

Check to see that the firmware on the speaker is up to date, there may have been a revision while you were moving. And, while you're at it, make sure that the device the controller on is up to date, both with software and OS.

supported OS

Although I wonder if perhaps the University is blocking certain addresses. You may want to check with the folks who run the wifi network, if either of the first two suggestions don't fix the issue.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If your university's network is set up anything like ours, it won't work. Sonos doesn't support 802.1x properly, and the chances of you being able to communicate device to device is slim even if it isn't blocked - the chances of two devices even ending up in the same subnet are something like 1 in 100.

Essentially, Sonos does not work properly on enterprise networks.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
jec's got the right idea here. Most school (and enterprise in general) networks are set up with...

• Wi-Fi that requires username and password authentication, either through the Wi-Fi itself or a "captive portal" login page - Sonos doesn't support either of these.
  • Wi-Fi that isolates devices connected, so devices cannot communicate with each other. This will prevent the controller app on your phone/laptop from communicating with the speaker when both are wireless.
  • Wi-Fi networks that are separate from wired networks. This would prevent a computer wired to the network from communicating with the Sonos speaker.
  • Wired networks that may be set up to disconnect the port when a certain kind of packet (which Sonos happens to use) is detected, preventing you from using the speaker while wired to the network

There might even be more things than these that have the potential to affect Sonos use, but these are usually the most common. If your school will let you, you could get a travel router, have that connect to the school Wi-Fi, then connect your Sonos and your phone to the travel router instead... but since you'll be creating a new Wi-Fi network, you might want to check with your school first... there might even be things in place to prevent those from working.
Userlevel 1
Badge
MikeV wrote:

If your school will let you, you could get a travel router, have that connect to the school Wi-Fi, then connect your Sonos and your phone to the travel router instead... but since you'll be creating a new Wi-Fi network, you might want to check with your school first... there might even be things in place to prevent those from working.

At most schools in the US, due to legal concerns, they won't let you do this. There's a on our network that will kill all of your internet access if you try to use a travel router - so you've been warned. :)

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)