Answered

Help me troubleshoot a setup after a move?

• 13 December 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
A client of mine (I'm a computer guy, but Sonos is within my range of capabilities) moved houses, and I was just over to help him get it all set back up. He has a Connect amp and a Playbar, a Sub, and two Play:1s. Got the sonos parts all set up, but now I'm stumped on the Connect, which is used to connect to his existing phono pre-Amp and other amp. So, he says that at his old house, this was all the hardware he had. What I can't figure out is, what the heck was the Connect connected to, to output sound? I have the record player and cd player connected to the amp, and the amp connected to the Connect. But what is the Connect connected to? He swears he never had old fashioned speakers. I'm thinking ok, maybe was the Connect connected to the TV via an optical cable, which then connects to the Playbar? He only has one optical cable, so that seems unlikely. But I just don't see any other options. How to connect a Connect to a Playbar/Sub? I assume it can't be done over wifi, right? When we go to the Connect's "room" in the app, it tells us that we have to connect a speaker to the line-in before it'll work.

Any help to get me down the road a bit is creatly appreciated.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 13 December 2018, 21:18

"If the AV has an Analogue-Out (Tape or Aux) it can be connected to the RCA-In of the Connect Amp to send audio from the TT or CD as a source to other Sonos speakers via grouping. "

This is how we have it, but when i group the two rooms together (living room which is the playbar, and living room 2 which is the connectamp) i get silence.

This is, i'm sure, the source of my problem. But i'm not seeing how to fix it. Thanks!

Go into the Sonos App under Room Rettings for the Connect: AMP and set Line-in to auto.

Cheers!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Just to be careful, there's a difference between a CONNECT, and a CONNECT:AMP, you seem to be using the terms interchangeably. Or do you mean that he has one of each? It's not clear to me, maybe I'm misreading it.

Both devices connect (either by ethernet cable or by wifi signal) to the entire "Sonos system" It's entirely possible to have the preamp for his turntable connected to it as an input, and not have it connected via CAT-5 cables.

The CONNECT by itself can also be used as a SonosNet extender. If he had poor wifi in an area, and the SonosNet or wifi wasn't reaching that area, he could have put the CONNECT (or frankly any Sonos device) halfway between that place and a device in a "good" location.

In the general scheme of things, yes, the PLAYBAR would connect to the TV with the optical cable. The turntable's pre-amp would connect to either the CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP (and if he doesn't have external speakers connected to the CONNECT:AMP, then I'd use the CONNECT).

Each would be it's own "room" in the Sonos software. So the PLAYBAR and any bonded devices become, for instance "Living Room TV". The CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP could become "Turntable", or even just "Living Room", and then he could send the line-input to the Living Room TV "room".

And I don't think you want to connect a speaker to the line in....you want to connect the turntable's pre-amp to the line in. Then you want to define in the app where that source will play (i.e. what room it should play in, since the CONNECT itself doesn't have a speaker)
Userlevel 7
Hi cameronjpu

I'm bit confused by your post. Does your friend have a Connect and a Connect Amp or just the latter? I'm going to assume you meant the latter'_just a Connect AMP. The Connect Amp was probably overkill for this use as a Connect would have sufficed.

If the AV has an Analogue-Out (Tape or Aux) it can be connected to the RCA-In of the Connect Amp to send audio from the TT or CD as a source to other Sonos speakers via grouping.

Cheers!
Badge
Sorry about that, I didn't realize there were two such devices.

The device we have is a Connect:AMP.

He says that in his old house, he would select the line in from the music sources, and it would play whatever the amp was playing. Now though, when selecting line in, it says that the ConnectAMP must be connected to a line-in capable sonos speaker.

It seems to me like the ConnectAmp should be able to output its audio to the Playbar over wifi, but maybe i'm crazy?

Also, the Connect Amp is seen in the sonos app as a separate room, which he says it was not before. But i can't figure out a way to remove the connectamp from the room or merge two rooms.
Badge
"If the AV has an Analogue-Out (Tape or Aux) it can be connected to the RCA-In of the Connect Amp to send audio from the TT or CD as a source to other Sonos speakers via grouping. "

This is how we have it, but when i group the two rooms together (living room which is the playbar, and living room 2 which is the connectamp) i get silence.

This is, i'm sure, the source of my problem. But i'm not seeing how to fix it. Thanks!
Userlevel 7

Go into the Sonos App under Room Rettings for the Connect: AMP and set Line-in to auto.

Cheers!
Badge
I found this page: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

Which suggests that I get different functionality depending on whether my ConnectAMP is connected to the router by wifi versus ethernet. Could this be the problem? I think that it was connected with ethernet before, and now it is wifi.
Userlevel 7
I found this page: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

Which suggests that I get different functionality depending on whether my ConnectAMP is connected to the router by wifi versus ethernet. Could this be the problem? I think that it was connected with ethernet before, and now it is wifi.

The article you referenced is for using the Connect AMP for surround speakers. Is that what you are trying to do?
Badge
OMG.... ugh.

I had connected the amp, to the ConnectAMP output instead of input. Duh.

Thanks for keeping me on the job at least! 🙂