Answered

Having difficulties setting up surrounds for Beam

• 19 December 2018
  • 6 replies

I bought the Sonos Beam a couple of weeks ago and loved the device. Found a good deal on the older Sonos Play Ones and bought two of them to add surround. It has been a nightmare getting it all to work. I am using Orbi and after three hours managed to get all the speakers online and working but then a few hours later, again, the surround doesn't work and the Sonos App shows ??+?? for the room where Beam is setup in. The lights on both the Sonos Play One speakers is steady white.
icon

Best answer by John B 19 December 2018, 10:39

OK in that case try wiring the Beam into the Orbi router. Give it a couple of minutes to settle down. You ma have to power cycle the Sonos devices. Check in the Sonos app under 'About My Sonos System'. Do your units have WM:0 or WM:1 next to them?
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi. First question.... do you have a wired Sonos device in your set up, or are they all wireless? If there are wired devices, what are they wired to?
They're all setup as wireless but I've been reading and looks like it might be a good idea to create SononNet. I can plug the Beam to the router as it sits next to it. Do I have to reset/remove my setup to enable that?
These mesh systems vary... does your system piggy-back off an existing ISP modem/router, or is the Orbi the full thing?
Orbi handles the PPPoE connection from my ISP.
OK in that case try wiring the Beam into the Orbi router. Give it a couple of minutes to settle down. You ma have to power cycle the Sonos devices. Check in the Sonos app under 'About My Sonos System'. Do your units have WM:0 or WM:1 next to them?
All set now. Just decided to rest Beam and the two speakers and then connected the Beam using the network cable and then setup the surround speakers which worked right away the first time and have been working without issues. Had to remove Alexa and then add again for that to work. All seems to be working now. Thanks @John B