Glossary of Sonos Terms

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Glossary of Terms & Variations - AMENDED

Bonding – Configuration Process wherein Main speakers distribute frequencies to other speakers as programed by Sonos Controller App. Bonded configurations can also create a Zone.
1. Playbar (main) configured with Stereo Pair as surround speakers
2. Playbar (main) configured with a Sonos Sub
3. Playbar (main) configured with Stereo Pair as surround speakers and Sonos Sub *
4. Stereo Pair (main) configured with a Sonos Sub
5. Stereo Pair without a Sonos Sub

Zone
1. Single speaker (Play 1, Play 3, Play 5 or Playbar)
2. Like speakers - Two Play 1’s or Two Play 3’s or Two Play 5’s configured as Stereo Pair
3. Playbar & Sonos Sub
4. Playbar with either two Play 1’s or two Play 3’s as surround speakers
5. Playbar with either two Play 1’s or two Play 3’s as surround speakers and Sonos Sub *

Zone Line-In
1. Sonos Connect tethered to an audio component (CD, Tape Deck) using its RCA/3.5mm Analog-Out to Connect Analog-In
2. Sonos Connect tethered to an A/V component via RCA Tape –Out to play music from a selectable A/V source (CD, Phono, Radio)
3. Sonos Connect tethered to an A/V component via RCA AUX-IN to play music from a tablet, NAS or via compatible Sonos streaming service using the Sonos Controller App.
4. Sonos Connect: AMP with attached wired speakers & and/or optional sub via digital coax tethered to an audio component with RCA/3.5mm Analog Out (CD, Tape Deck)
5. Sonos Connect: AMP with attached Wired speakers & and/or optional sub via digital coax to play music from a tablet/computer, NAS or via compatible Sonos streaming service using the Sonos Controller App

Grouping
Separate Zones are combined together to deliver the same music to all speakers simultaneously

Sonos Sub
1. Cannot act as a Zone
2. Cannot act as an independent speaker
3. Cannot be configured as main Boost component
4. Can only function in one of the Bonding configurations mentioned above. **

* Bonding Variation for Home Theater DD-5.1

6 replies

You might want to mention the Connect and Connect Amp under Zones.
You might also want to mention that a stereo pair without a sub is also bonded.

I don't think the ** statement stands up either, there's no reason to suggest a single play unit won't benefit from a sub.
You don't appear to have amended that at all, it's still wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
I amended the original post for you AjTrek. Great idea and feel free to post edits and updates here. We'll make sure to keep the main one up to date for you and delete the extras. That way this thread doesn't get extremely long needlessly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
You might also want to mention that a stereo pair without a sub is also bonded.

I don't think the ** statement stands up either, there's no reason to suggest a single play unit won't benefit from a sub.

I'd agree with this too. A single PLAY:1 gets a huge improvement for having a SUB bonded with it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
I amended the original post for you AjTrek. Great idea and feel free to post edits and updates here. We'll make sure to keep the main one up to date for you and delete the extras. That way this thread doesn't get extremely long needlessly.

Thanks Ryan S! It's in your capable hands now:$
Also since all are in agreement regarding a Sub and a single Play X, please delete the passage. Thanks!

@ The LHC & upstatemike ...Thanks for your suggestions 🆒

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings