Answered

Get rid of the annoying update request

• 18 February 2018
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Having spent almost $3000 on a system and a Macmini, I now cannot use any of it as the latest controller insists on looking for an update.

My system is installed at a place that does NOT have internet. Sonos requires internet to look for a new controller EVEN THOUGH IT HAS THE LATEST VERSION! Great coding guys !

So, can anyone send me an earlier version of the controller so that I can get back to where I was before I updated the Controller + MacOS + iTunes; which I do at another internet connected site.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 18 February 2018, 13:58

Mr Richard,

I think the last question and answer in this top pre-purchase FAQ link below, might be the reason why...

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/top-pre-purchase-questions

Sonos do definitely say, without exception, that an internet connection and a router is required. I don’t see how the Sonos developers can really be held to account here. This is perhaps more about some users seeking a workaround to operate their equipment without internet access, rather than any Sonos endorsed official route.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Rubbish Ken. If I buy a new car i don't expect the manufacturers to remove a wheel. I bought into Sonos because it provided a service I wanted. I did a LOT of research before purchase. It just worked. Then - Sonos changed something to make it not work. It's a Sonos issue not a customer issue.

Besides, any decent coder could provide the option to 'check for new update'. Millions of software have that option.

And again, besides, how would you feel about having to pay thousands to run an internet connection to a small country building, which is where we are. It isn't an option - which is WHY I chose Sonos in the first place, because it didn't used to be an issue before Sonos took off a wheel.

passopp - I'm not looking for any software version - the latest version is installed already, so I don't follow your question, sorry.
Mr Richard,

I think the last question and answer in this top pre-purchase FAQ link below, might be the reason why...

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/top-pre-purchase-questions

Sonos do definitely say, without exception, that an internet connection and a router is required. I don’t see how the Sonos developers can really be held to account here. This is perhaps more about some users seeking a workaround to operate their equipment without internet access, rather than any Sonos endorsed official route.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
The above has 'Best Option' ticked - THIS IS WRONG!
I don'y know how that got ticked or who did it, but as there has not been a resolve, a green tick is a lie.
The best answer would be for what I asked for - provide the option to 'check for new update'. Just get to it Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You're going to need to update your Sonos units to the latest software/firmware and once done discipline yourself not to update the controller or better still keep a controller just for that "no internet" system
can anyone send me an earlier version of the controller
Unofficially, you can usually locate earlier desktop controller versions at http://update.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopControllerXXX.dmg where XXX is the version, e.g. ...SonosDesktopController82.dmg or ...SonosDesktopController831.dmg.
ratty - link is dead.
http://update.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopControllerXXX.dmg? Yes, as I said you needed to substitute the version number for the XXX. For example http://update.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopController831.dmg is the current Mac DCR.

What if I did this, do you think it would work.......put a 4G USB stick in the Macmini and I'll be connected, via 4G, to the internet. Then, use the Macmini wireless to connect to the Sonos wireless network. That work?

I've no idea what a Mac is capable of, but I assume it can bridge its network connections with or without NAT routing.

Presumably you have a router there, handling the Sonos system. Albeit it's not connected to the internet.

If the router can't connect to the 4G directly you may be able to bridge its WAN connection through the Mac. Router WAN port -> Mac -> USB/4G. Then assuming you have some other Sonos controller (iPhone?) you could get the units to update their software. For this exercise you wouldn't be able to use the Mac Desktop controller since it'd be on the WAN side of the router.
WTF am I missing?
Who knows.

I told you how to locate older Desktop controller versions. You just needed to download the version matching your player firmware.

If you rigged things up as in your diagram, so as to update the player firmware instead, I also told you that you'd need a controller other than the Mac controller to do so.
I suspect the MM does not bridge/share the internet connection automatically ... it is possibly only providing internet access to the MM.

Also does the router have the MM plugged into its WAN port, rather than a LAN port? There’s not enough information to really make a judgement as to what is happening.here... the settings within the router could be at fault or even an active firewall on the MM may be blocking some necessary ports that’s in addition to establishing if the WAN connection is being shared by the MM.

If you have an iPhone or similar device, it might be easier and much simpler to set that up as a WIFI hotspot/router and use the MM as the Sonos controller, until all the 'necessary' required updates have completed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
ratty - thanks, but I told you the link is dead. Click on what you gave me and you'll see. If I could find an older controller, I would use it.

KG - thanks for that. I'll do some reading and try to figure out what you said as I'm not that network savvy.

mataglap - yes, what you said I was missing, I was; I didn't realise that. Thanks. I put a lot of effort and research into things before I made purchase and the Sonos system was best fit. I made the correct choice as it was PERFECT. But then Sonos changed the 'rules' and broke it, so I shouldn't have to consider any change. Microsoft have been responsible for some terrible software rollouts over the years. Apple too; less so. They have come back immediately to fix their errors. Sonos don't have the same customer satisfaction ethic the other two have. This is clear from the fact that so may users are not happy for so long.

I'm not wrong in complaining - I did my reasearch - paid my money - got what I wanted. Perfect. And then Sonos (as I say), took a wheel off the car. It isn't my fault. All this could be fixed with a simple software change - ie. have the Controller like it used to be. There is no need to keep updating. Sure, I get that updates are required but you do not need them every single iteration. That's a fact. Thousands of people are still running Windows XP because the application they run will not work on any upgrade.

I'm going to investiagte the sharing option you mention and KG too and I'll get back.
ratty - thanks, but I told you the link is dead. Click on what you gave me and you'll see. If I could find an older controller, I would use it..
And I've also told you, several times, how to amend the URL to obtain the older controller version that you wanted. It's not rocket science. Over and out.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thanks, but if Sonos always had the clause that an internet connection was needed - then why did it work without one for over 6 months? Answer me that. This point is KEY to the whole sorry Sonos saga.

When one updates, one assumes all will be good. If there is no warning - how would I know? Sonos should give users the opportunity to roll back. Heck, if I rolled out software that killed the application then I'd be upset and offer a resolve - like a link to a previous version. Maybe that's just because i care about people..... Your logic about 'I chose to update........" is flawed. I chose a car as I think it's safe. If I buy one that has had a brake update and it fails, you would say - well it was your choice. Updates shouldn't break things - end of. Remember - it worked very, very well once upon a time. We were about to buy more speakers and a Sub. Not now.

Secondly, I can't turn off the Update option as I can't get to it BECAUSE the Controller wants to update before it shows the options - otherwise they are all greyed out.

Clicking in the link takes me to a dead link. I know I have to put a previous version in but I've tried a bunch of them and they all resolve to 404. It's because I don't know the exact number to put in there as I can't find a list of previous versions. If I could, then I'm sure the link would work but in the meantime I've tried: 700, 701, 702, 703, etc up to 830. I'm probably doing that wrong but if I don't have a list, how will I know ? Maybe you can just give me an exact URL please as that would save me guessing.

Thanks for the Sunday help. I should let you know I only work on Sunday too as this is the only day I can get to the church, where the Sonos is. I've spend the last two Sunday afternoons there - approx 9 hours now, fiddling about, and this does not include the reading I do once back home. There's a number of resolve options here - I'm just trying to find one for the people I have asked to invest all this money in a (now), dead system.

I'm blocking update.sonos.com at my router and DNS server to make sure that I don't accidentally update and loose capabilities

That's a brilliant suggestion mataglap. If I can get this going again then I'll do exactly that. Reply if you like, I'm not expecting one, as you said. But your tip about the networking is enough thank you, I'm reading up on that this week and will implement at the weekend and cross my fingers.
Mr Richard,

If you can get a 4G signal at your location, then you could use a mobile wifi broadband device,such as those available from HUAWEI or share a mobile phone hotspot or even buy a router that has built in 4G support .. all would be simple to setup and less bother than configuring a shared internet connection and having to setup Gateways, DNS and DHCP servers and configuring firewalls on your MM.

I would try to keep things simple, not least because of your knowledge on these matters, but also for being able to easily troubleshoot things whenever they may go wrong in the future .. the classic issue being duplicate IP addresses that can occur after device updates and reboots if you decide to not store the Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP Reservation Table, as widely mentioned here in various threads by the community members.

I honestly cannot recall the last time a Sonos update ever gave me a problem with my own personal setup, either at home, or whilst travelling around the UK in the family motorhome, but I do always try to keep things connected to the internet.

I don't work Sundays, but I do like to keep things very simple and straightforward.
And as I say, I could download an earlier version of the Controller and try that if someone could give me the direct URL please.
How can anyone do that without knowing which version you want? And if you knew that you could of course have composed the correct URL, just as one of us will have to do...
Mr Richard,

When sharing your internet connection, can you confirm that you have plugged the MM into the WAN side of the router and is the router seeing the MM's IP address as the gateway ... is DHCP enabled in the router and is it picking up all the LAN devices on the same IP range and subnet.

Make sure the routers DNS is set to the MM'S IP Address.

You at least need to check things are working and connecting to the router and that the router is forwarding the network traffic onto the MM'S shared connection.

Once you have established that check you can 'ping' your LAN devices from the MM ... You should get a reply back if you have set things up correctly.

If all these things above work then it’s a case of checking the MM's shared internet connection which on the LAN side should be the same IP as the routers gateway... obviously the WAN IP will be dynamically provided by your 4G internet provider.

I don’t know if you follow or understand any of the steps above to check things yourself, but like I said it’s not always easy if you don’t have a basic knowledge of networking and routing things on a LAN.

And there are much simpler solutions on the market.

Finally Sonos can really only be expected to assist with their speakers, once an internet connection is established as that is one of the requirements they ask for when you buy their products. I’m not sure they are there to troubleshoot our home network issues.

I would look through some of my points briefly mentioned above and see if you can get at least one device, other than your MM, to go onto the internet when connected to your router.... at the moment it looks like you may not have things setup correctly.

For anyone to assist here, you may have to go into more detail about your current router configuration.

Hope that helps...

Ken
Having spent almost $3000 on a system and a Macmini, I now cannot use any of it as the latest controller insists on looking for an update.

My system is installed at a place that does NOT have internet. Sonos requires internet to look for a new controller EVEN THOUGH IT HAS THE LATEST VERSION! Great coding guys !...

After reading all hilarious and complicated "workarounds" for your problem I must admit your initial reaction is perfectly sensible. It's utterly stupid to require a internet connection to be able to connect a speaker to a music system. But it's obvious the Sonos route since a few years is not aimed at customers interested in a easy to use filebased music systems. It's all about subscriptions, voice control, wireless home and of course logging of customer data. That's why you have these problems. The only solution is to migrate to another solution. Sonos is never going to be what it was.

A misconstruction, if I may say so. The OP managed to partially update his system (the DCR), and as we know a Sonos system requires controllers and players to run compatible versions.

After reading all hilarious and complicated "workarounds" for your problem I must admit your initial reaction is perfectly sensible. It's utterly stupid to require a internet connection to be able to connect a speaker to a music system. But it's obvious the Sonos route since a few years is not aimed at customers interested in an easy to use filebased music system. It's all about subscriptions, voice control, wireless home and of course logging of customer data. That's why you have these problems. The only solution is to migrate to another solution. Sonos is never going to be what it was.

It’s not complicated at all for the majority of people who buy Sonos, as they often already have a WiFi network and internet connection available at home. It is after-all a wireless speaker system that Sonos very clearly state requires an internet connection and router.

In most instances the Sonos hardware is Plug'n'Play. In Mr Richard's case he has opted to try to workaround the internet connection issue and clearly his controller at some stage has received an update from the internet and so now the speakers also need to be updated to a later firmware version... that’s virtually impossible without them also having internet access.

Ratty offered a workaround by downgrading the Sonos controller software, but it appears Mr Richard cannot resolve that matter at the present time and is now trying to create a shared internet connection via his MAC mini and a local router. That in itself is where the complication lies and it is certainly nothing whatsoever to do with Sonos or their products.

I would never hold Sonos to account for the situation Mr Richard now finds himself in. It’s not their fault at all IMHO.

Mr Richards simply needs to put his 'required' internet connection and router in place correctly ... that’s where the real complication lies here.

It’s easy enough to do when you know even the basics of home networking, it’s no so easy when you don’t... bit like riding a bike, driving a car or swimming ... all very easy and simple when you know how.
Goading? There's no point in obtaining a version which doesn't match your player firmware. You'll still be stuck with a non-functioning system. Use another controller to interrogate the players via About My Sonos System and see what version they're at.

If you don't have any other controller than the Mac's, ascertain the IP address of a player and point a browser to http://x.x.x.x:1400/status/VERSION, substituting the IP address for the x.x.x.x. Report the contents and hopefully some kind soul will be able to match that to a public version number.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
thank you melvimbe+ratty - I'm going to give all this a go.
Not giving up yet..............:D
Which exact version of the macOS desktop controller are you looking for?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
ratty - link is dead.

What if I did this, do you think it would work.......put a 4G USB stick in the Macmini and I'll be connected, via 4G, to the internet. Then, use the Macmini wireless to connect to the Sonos wireless network. That work?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
So, after investing more money on this bloody rubbish system, it STILL DOES NOT WORK!! So angry.

I bought a Tstick, which connects the Macmini to the internet seamlessly. I can use 4G and Safari and the speed is very good. So, with the problem of the Controller now having internet access i thought all would be good. No - it still cannot connect to the internet.

The image shows my setup. I have tried an ethernet cable from MM to router. MM to Playbar. Router to Playbar. No combination works. The MM has 4G internet as well as wireless running and yet the Controller says "No".

I have removed the Controller from the MM, downloaded and reinstalled the latest version (again), and run the setup. It could not find the Playbar and asked for an ethernet cable. I used a cable and the Playbar was found. So, back to square 1 as this was the situation over a week ago. But THIS TIME, I have internet.................................waste of bloody time.

WTF am I missing?
WTF am I missing?

you're missing that the internet connection on the Mac needs to be shared with the rest of your network. Try googling "mac internet connection sharing". it's likely none of the results will match your situation 100% but they should provide some help. you'll also need to make sure that your router forwards internet-bound traffic to the mac as a gateway, or that your router is (temporarily?) configured as a switch rather than a router. Just because the Mac has internet doesn't mean everything else does.

you'll also want to make sure that you don't open your entire network (or your mac) to the Internet without some kind of firewall in place, and if you do make any "less than secure" changes, you undo those when you're done getting all the sonos devices and controllers at the same version.

This may or may not be more network admin than you're comfortable dealing with, but it's really difficult to assist with out a whole lot of precise details or seeing your config exactly. and for any of the other community members to have enough of their time and energy to help you the way you want to be helped rather than doing the best they can with the time they have available.

you're also missing that once any sonos component (controller, speaker, player) is aware there's a newer version it tells all the other components that there is an update, so rolling back the version of that one component won't help as much as you want it to, because the update request won't go away until all components have been updated.

you might also be missing that there are narrow ranges of supported operating systems for the controllers that can change with each release. Sonos compatibility for operating system support follows the Vendor (Apple for MacOS & iOS, Microsoft for Windows, Google for Android) support (and EOL) cycle so you need to be cognizant of what versions of MacOS your hardware can support, and how that matches up to what the operating system dependencies of the version of Sonos you upgrade to. (This means computers that function perfectly fine may be explicitly not supported by Sonos.)

I have a great deal of sympathy for your frustration and anger, but it's coming across as being directed at the rest of us strangers who are responding to your shouting. you have a pretty unusual situation that is explicitly outside of what Sonos supports, your expectations about how sonos "could" work are unrealistic, and honestly you're not paying sufficient attention to what information people are providing you.

you might want to consider the option of returning all the sonos hardware, if that's possible, and get equipment that is more suitable to a small country building with out internet, and the amount of time you want to spend doing system and network administration of your stereo.
I told you the link is dead. Click on what you gave me and you'll see. If I could find an older controller, I would use it.
If you can't see the difference between these two links, you are not reading ratty's posts closely enough.
template: http://update.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopControllerXXX.dmg
example: http://update.sonos.com/software/mac/mdcr/SonosDesktopController831.dmg

And again, you can't just install an older controller and make the update nag go away to the best of my knowledge. You are welcome to prove me wrong.

I put a lot of effort and research into things before I made purchase and the Sonos system was best fit. I made the correct choice as it was PERFECT. But then Sonos changed the 'rules' and broke it, so I shouldn't have to consider any change.
Sonos did not change their rules, they have always said an Internet connection was required, they are just explicitly using it more now than they used to.

Regardless of the time, effort, and research you did, you missed critical facts. And so your belief "so I shouldn't have to consider any changes" is based on incomplete or wrong information.

Besides, any decent coder could provide the option to 'check for new update'
All Sonos controllers have this option, as does the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, Amazon App Store. You didn't disable it.

Thousands of people are still running Windows XP because the application they run will not work on any upgrade.
Sonos does not support any older versions than their current release (right now 8.3). Neither Microsoft nor Sonos are supporting Windows XP regardless of the fact it still works. Neither Apple nor Sonos are supporting MacOS 10.8 or older, Sonos is only partially supporting MacOS 10.9, full support currently is only for MacOS 10.10 and newer -- currently 10.13.

Go back and look through the requirements of all the previous Sonos releases (you can start here https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-3) and you can see how the "Minimum OS requirements" have changed.

There is no need to keep updating
That's their decision, not yours.

before I updated the Controller + MacOS + iTunes...
And there are ways -- not supported by Sonos -- for you as a user to not update, but you chose to update the Sonos controller.

When Sonos updates to 8.4 or 8.5 or X.X that list of minimum os requirements may change, and anyone either needs to work within the new minimum requirements and upgrade or they have the responsibility of making sure that they don't upgrade. Sonos has been very clear that they expect everyone to upgrade to every new release and will only support the current release.

I use a CR100, some CR200s, a ZP80 (with the smallest amount of RAM on any Sonos unit, 32MB), Android 4.4, and Windows 7. There is no reason to expect Sonos to continue to support any of those forever, and so I'm blocking update.sonos.com at my router and DNS server to make sure that I don't accidentally update and loose capabilities that currently work but might not based on a future update. Sonos has already said a coming update in April will disable the CR100. If I want to keep using it, it's my responsibility to block and/or not update, not Sonos's.

In my opinion, some of your complaints are legitimate, some are not. But your expectations about how Sonos could operate differ from how Sonos chooses to work. So you now have to choose to work in alignment with how Sonos operates or not be their customer. If you want to be somewhere in between those two places, the burden is your individual responsibility.

Sonos could behave differently, but that's their choice and if enough of their customers are dissatisfied to take action, then Sonos will feel it in the marketplace. There does seem to be evidence that there are are far more happy customers than dissatisfied customers.

I have more than a little sympathy for the position you're in, which is why I've spent so much of my Sunday morning responding and trying to assist you. I think that free time has ended, and if you expect any further responses from me, that's your expectation, and not my obligation.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
More heartache...

This weekend I connected MM to router with ethernet (as per above diagram), and turned on Share Internet as suggested by mataglap. No joy - exactly the same issue, the Sonos Controller refuses to connect to the net.

I did Internet Sharing - Wifi to Bluetooth and Ethernet. No joy. Out of desperation, I then tried every other combination the MM preferences allowed. No joy. I've read a LOT and I reckon I have a very good knowledge of IP, DHCP etc etc.

The controller finds the playbar, I just can't update as it won't connect to the net. As I'm trying this, Safari connects to the net. It's the controller that's the issue, unless someone can advise me otherwise. And as I say, I could download an earlier version of the Controller and try that if someone could give me the direct URL please.

I can't call Sonos as they don't work at the weekend and they don't seem to be reading this Post? After almost a month, I would appreciate them getting in touch directly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

My system is installed at a place that does NOT have internet. Sonos requires internet to look for a new controller EVEN THOUGH IT HAS THE LATEST VERSION! Great coding guys !...

After reading all hilarious and complicated "workarounds" for your problem I must admit your initial reaction is perfectly sensible. It's utterly stupid to require a internet connection to be able to connect a speaker to a music system. But it's obvious the Sonos route since a few years is not aimed at customers interested in an easy to use filebased music system. It's all about subscriptions, voice control, wireless home and of course logging of customer data. That's why you have these problems. The only solution is to migrate to another solution. Sonos is never going to be what it was.