Question

Fast, New Orbi Mesh WiFi network—Should I switch Sonos to WiFi?

• 5 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi -

I have a fairly extensive Sonos system (3 Play 5 stereo pairs, 5 Play Ones in different rooms, an Amp, a Playbar, Sub and two Play 3s in a 5.1 setup and a Move). All have been running on SonosNet with a Boost connected to my router and a Connect on the far end of the house for support. 

I upgraded my Wi-Fi network to a new Orbi mesh setup with two satellites. We now have absolutely full and fast Wi-Fi coverage in the whole house that works great. 

Sonos often sputters when starting—we have a lot of competing Wi-Fi signals around us and it would seem  SonosNet and our own Orbi network are probably stepping on each other too. The sputtering (rooms linked together not always all starting to play right away, sometimes dropping out) was an issue before but seems worse since upgrading the main Wi-Fi network. 

Given the above, should I switch Sonos over to Wi-Fi setup to run through our Orbi network?  Any downsides? Should I expect better performance? And, if it doesn’t work, how much of a hassle to switch back to the SonosNet/Boost setup?

Thanks in advance. 

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @MikeElmendorf.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate the very detailed post outlining your concern, let me help and try to figure this out.

In WiFi mesh networks, Sonos products must be wired to the primary mesh node if using a wired setup. 

You may check these articles on our support website discussing Sonos system requirements, and for recommendations on which setup best suits your system and home network. 

It is very important to correctly determine the cause of these audio issues/interruptions, as there are many potential causes such as wireless interference, gateway issue, source issue, service issue, etc. Kindly submit a diagnostic report preferably when the issue occurs, and reply with the confirmation number. I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Badge +1

H, Annazel -

I’m using a wireless setup.

Diagnostic here:  309191801.  

Also, getting noise on our rear speakers in our 5.1 setup (playbar, sub and 2 play 3s for rears).  An occasional crackle/static sound that lasts a fraction of a second but occurs repeatedly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @MikeElmendorf.

Thanks for your response.

Upon checking the diagnostic, I see multiple errors and the system detected interference around Sonos components that can result in audio interruptions.

This condition is often caused by wireless interference due to wireless congestion.

I suggest changing the wireless channel on the wireless router (or access point) first.

NOTE: This may involve disabling automatic channel assignment on the wireless router or access point.

• Log in to the wireless router or access point that Sonos is associated with through a web browser or through the router/AP's designated App.

• Change the router/AP's wireless channel to a different channel. If the router/AP uses an automatic channel assignment, it is recommended that this be disabled.

• Ideally, select channels 1, 6, or 11 are the preferred non-overlapping channels.

• Please wait for 3 minutes and get a new diagnostic.

• Test it and attempt music playback, or any other activity to Sonos that was previously failing, and see if the problem is now resolved.

You may also refer to this article that will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please reply with the new confirmation number from the diagnostic that was submitted 3 minutes after the change so I can check if interference has been reduced.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.