Answered

Ethernet or wireless

• 26 December 2019
  • 2 replies

ethernet connection or wireless connection is one better than the other

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 26 December 2019, 05:17

Not a “better” matter but there are differences.

I like putting my Sonos traffic on wires where possible and keeping the rest of it on a different channel than my home WiFi data. I can load up either without impacting the other.

In WiFi (Standard) Mode you have to set your home WiFi to be compatible with the Sonos requirements. See the Support FAQ.

In Wired (Boost) Mode you can use all the abilities of your home WiFi with no Sonos imposed restrictions other than all must be on a single LAN. So things like not allowing B/G connections, enabling Airtime Fairness, multiple APs on different channels and the like are possible.

View original

2 replies

They both carry exactly the same data, so it’s more about how “clean” your Wi-Fi network is, I.e. how much interference there is. Wired networks tend to have little interference. Both are subject to other network issues, such as, in the case of Sonos, duplicate IP addresses. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Not a “better” matter but there are differences.

I like putting my Sonos traffic on wires where possible and keeping the rest of it on a different channel than my home WiFi data. I can load up either without impacting the other.

In WiFi (Standard) Mode you have to set your home WiFi to be compatible with the Sonos requirements. See the Support FAQ.

In Wired (Boost) Mode you can use all the abilities of your home WiFi with no Sonos imposed restrictions other than all must be on a single LAN. So things like not allowing B/G connections, enabling Airtime Fairness, multiple APs on different channels and the like are possible.