Answered

Ethernet: on arc or on TV?

• 4 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Good morning

I want to buy the Sonos arc (at the time only the arc without sorround nor sub).

I Have only une Ethernet cable in the room; the question is: if I connect the ethernet to the Arc, can I see Netflix/Disney Plus in the TV (the Arc will share the Internet with the TV) or should I connect the Ethernet to the TV and work with the Arc in Wifi.

In this second case, what problems can I have?

Thanks in advance and excuse my poor English

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 4 October 2021, 11:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The ARC uses the Ethernet as a connection to your Router that is faster and less likely to get interference than wifi, but is only for Sonos sound use.   It cannot be used for passing through other info to your tv. Nor can your TV share this intranet with your ARC.

One option..

Use the Ethernet for your TV and use WiFi for the ARC.

A better option..

Buy Switch for the ethernet, this will need a power source, this will allow you to share the Ethernet connection.  They are only around £15 and you can connect other devices such as you Blueray player and Games consoles.  They are plug an play so very easy to install.

Example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B01D5H8KO2&psc=1

My preference would be to keep the network connection dedicated to the TV because it requires much more bandwidth than ARC.

An even better approach would be to install a small network switch and connect ARC and TV to the network. (I’m anal about wiring everything possible.) Here is one possibility that could use USB power from the TV, however, make sure that the TV’s USB port continues to supply power while the TV is in standby.

Ok that was what I wanted to know.

Thank you very much to both

Best regards

Luis

Badge

My preference would be to keep the network connection dedicated to the TV because it requires much more bandwidth than ARC.

An even better approach would be to install a small network switch and connect ARC and TV to the network. (I’m anal about wiring everything possible.) Here is one possibility that could use USB power from the TV, however, make sure that the TV’s USB port continues to supply power while the TV is in standby.

The no brained seems like a cheap unmanaged switch. Seems like a no brained abs what they are for. You can get a plug abs play device abs you off and running. 

tp link or netgear prosafe is common in my house. 5 port is plenty for u. Love my netgear prosafe as a clean look and built like a tank. 

A cheap unmanaged switch is nice way forward.

If you have multi Sonos devices then a Sonos Boost would be another good solution. This would also remove compatibility issues with some routers. Just do not connect ARC to Boost network and Ethernet networks at the same time as you will see some strange network routing going on.