Answered

Ethernet Connected Play:5 Temporary Setup with No Internet

• 31 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi there... My daughter is having a birthday party thing in a few weeks at a nearby hall we are renting. While I could go and rent some PA gear I was playing with the idea of grabbing three of my Play:5 units and taking them to the hall for music. I have stands for them already making this quite convenient (minus reconfiguration stuff)

All three could be wired up to an ethernet switch (ie. same network) where I would also plugin my MacBook which has all the music on it.

Can the Play:5 units support a static IP address (to avoid setting up a router and DHCP)?
The units are all up to date and stuff - anything that would prevent this from working once re-configured for ethernet and able to talk to one another?

Basically I'm looking to create a new network that is wired up temporarily for an event. The units work perfectly in my home using wireless today.

Thanks,
Paul
icon

Best answer by Keith N 7 September 2018, 21:08

Hi there, JuniperDude. Thanks for the post! Yes, Sonos devices can be set up without a router via Auto IP. In this configuration, the speaker plugged into your computer would become the first node on your SonosNet. Additionally, the computer would be the only means of controlling playback on the Play:5's.

Hope you found this helpful!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, JuniperDude. Thanks for the post! Yes, Sonos devices can be set up without a router via Auto IP. In this configuration, the speaker plugged into your computer would become the first node on your SonosNet. Additionally, the computer would be the only means of controlling playback on the Play:5's.

Hope you found this helpful!
Awesome - thanks, will give it a try!