Question

Ethernet cables to all Sonos products

• 2 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,

New here, new to Sonos too, so total newb question I’m afraid. Currently have my system consisting of a Sonos Five and a Beam in a wired setup (the Beam is wired to my router); however, is it possible to connect both my Beam and my Five via Ethernet so I have a fully wired system?

I’ve tried this and it doesn’t appear to work, so I probably already have the answer to my question, just not sure if I’m missing something. In a wired setup which, as I’ve said, I use, if I connect my Five to the network via Ethernet the Sonos app won’t see it and doesn’t appear to work. When I disconnect the Five and return to just the Beam connected via Ethernet it’s fine? It just seems strange to me that I can’t seem to have both products wired, especially given that they both have Ethernet ports on the back of them...

Thanks in advance

Marc

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @Nazgul72.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Sonos community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining your concern, I’d be glad to assist you.

Connecting any one of your Sonos products to your home router with an Ethernet cable will put your system into a wired setup.

In a wired setup, the product connected to your router will broadcast a dedicated wireless network for Sonos to operate on which is called SonosNet.

It is possible to wire more than one Sonos product, all wiring should connect to the same network/router.

It looks odd that the Sonos Five is not getting the connection, have you tried using a different ethernet cable?

Kindly try to reproduce by plugging it back to the router then, submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and it will also help in identifying what's could cause this.

You may also refer to this article, that will cover the differences between the two setups and provide recommendations for which setup best suits your system and home network. 

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Badge

Hi there,

Thanks very much for the reply. One thing I never mentioned is that the Five is in the kitchen, my router is located in the living room. I was trying to connect it to the Ethernet port on a Powerline plug, the Powerline plug is in turn connected to the same network as my LAN / router / WiFi. I’m unsure if that makes a difference or not to the outcome?

Again, thanks for your assistance…

Marc

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @Nazgul72.

Thanks for your immediate response and for the additional details.

Have you tried to connect the Sonos Five directly to the router and see if it works?

The first recommended step in troubleshooting is to remove these devices from the network to see if the issue persists.

The performance of the connection through a powerline adapter can be dramatically affected by the current being drawn on the powerline, so there is no way of knowing how effective the network connection is at any given time. Additionally, they often stop passing certain kinds of network data packets such as multicast data packets which the Sonos system uses.

Let me know if the above advice helps, and if you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

When I disconnect the Five and return to just the Beam connected via Ethernet it’s fine?

Just use the 5 disconnected. Powerline access to the router is iffy, being necessarily based on the domestic mains wiring architecture employed. I doubt that current being drawn is relevant though.