Question

Error adding network share

Userlevel 1
I used to have a network share (Synology NAS) up and running on my Play:1, Play:3 & Play:5. However, the IP address of the share has changed (dynamically, I think) and the library (of some 50,000 tracks) is no longer accessible on Sonos. I try to add the share - with its new IP address - to Sonos, but it doesn't work, stating that "Sonos was unable to add the music folder".
It then directs me to a URL re 'server stack'. However, I am reluctant to carry out registry adjustments.
Can you help please?

6 replies

First, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at.

You haven't mentioned your OS, but you may want to be sure that you've got SMBv1 turned on, that may be causing an issue with you being unable to add the shared location. If you're running windows 10, there's a lot of discussions in these forums on how that can be done.
Userlevel 1
Hello there. OS is Windows 10. I don't know what SMBv1 is or where/how to switch it on.
Systems diagnostics have been sent, # is 8189733.
Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Hello - any update on this please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
If you're trying to add a folder from your Synology NAS, this wouldn't have anything to do with your Windows registry.

You might want to check with Synology support, but I believe some NAS manufacturers have been disabling the SMBv1 protocol that Sonos needs to work in recent firmware updates. There is likely a setting in your NAS to re-enable the protocol so that your Sonos device(s) can access your music from the NAS.
Userlevel 1
Right - a bit of progress on this. I've managed to find SMBv1 and enabled it.

It has now got to the stage where it 'seems' to be adding the network share to the music library. It shows the message "now updating your music library", but eventually (after a few minutes) errors with the following:

"Can't update Music Library.

There is not enough room to update your music library. Please remove unused queues or saved playlists and try again."

There is no library actually attached to the Sonos at the point of trying to add this - it is 'empty'.

What I will add is that I did have a working Sonos for about 2-3 years with the same NAS drive/music library (with maybe 10% fewer tracks); but about 6 months ago there seemed to be a number of (different) issues with the overall system, be they network or other areas. Since then I have never managed to get it into a working state again. I have some 50,600 tracks in the NAS/Music Library.

Any thoughts?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
My next suggestion would be to try adding it again, let it error out... then submit a diagnostic through the Sonos controller and post the confirmation number here. A Sonos employee can see what's going on and hopefully provide further assistance.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)