Eliminate "Not Available" message on TV screen when volume changed with Playbay?

Userlevel 2
I just set up a Playbar and the results have been good for the most part. I've disabled the speakers on my 4 year old Samsung TV and I'm now getting the TV sound through the Playbar and I can control the Playbar's volume with the cable remote - all good things. However, as I was warned by the SONOS installer, I see a short "Not Available" message on the TV screen each time I adjust the Playbar's volume. In fact, one SONOS installer window stated:

Some TVs will show a message that the TV speakers are disabled whenever a volume command is sent from the remote control. There are ways to avoid this message being shown. At the end of Sonos setup you will be told where to find more information on this.

I did not notice any information at the end of the setup and I am wondering if anyone can advise how to eliminate the popup "Not Available" message or provide a link to the information that the Sonos installer touted.

Thanks...

10 replies

Welcome to the forums.

Try https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2015/
Userlevel 2
Does anyone have any experience programming a Comcast remote controller so that it eliminates the "Not Available" (or similar) message on the TV screen when the volume is adjusted?

I've read the Sonos help topic and Comcast's remote controller programming guide and I'm confused. It sounds like Sonos recommends using the AUX mode to send volume commands to the Sonos Playbar. That sounds like it would eliminate the "Not Available" message I see every time I adjust volume but it would require switching between the AUX mode on the Comcast controller (for volume changes) and the TV mode (to turn the TV on and off). I think I'd rather see the short "Not Available" message than fuss around switching between "modes" on the Comcast controller.

Am I missing the point here or would I need to switch modes to control volume?
Does anyone have any experience programming a Comcast remote controller so that it eliminates the "Not Available" (or similar) message on the TV screen when the volume is adjusted?

I've read the Sonos help topic and Comcast's remote controller programming guide and I'm confused. It sounds like Sonos recommends using the AUX mode to send volume commands to the Sonos Playbar. That sounds like it would eliminate the "Not Available" message I see every time I adjust volume but it would require switching between the AUX mode on the Comcast controller (for volume changes) and the TV mode (to turn the TV on and off). I think I'd rather see the short "Not Available" message than fuss around switching between "modes" on the Comcast controller.

Am I missing the point here or would I need to switch modes to control volume?

You have to enable "Volume Lock" for the AUX on the Comcast remote. This will lock the volume buttons to the AUX setting, ignoring whatever the remote is set for. To do this, see this link:

http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=465

Note: Your remote may differ. Search for your remote here if it does:

http://www.urcsupport.com/index.php?mso_id=65
Userlevel 2
I still don't understand one thing. If I program my Comcast remote as described in the provided link, won't I need to switch to AUX mode to adjust the TV volume and switch to TV mode to turn the set off and on?

Thanks.
I still don't understand one thing. If I program my Comcast remote as described in the provided link, won't I need to switch to AUX mode to adjust the TV volume and switch to TV mode to turn the set off and on?

Thanks.

No. What "Volume Lock" does is make the volume buttons give the AUX codes instead of the TV codes, no matter what mode is selected. So if you are in Cable mode, all other buttons send Cable Box signals, but the volume buttons send the AUX signals. It is just as if you had an A/V receiver for audio; you would program the receiver into the AUX, then lock the volume to AUX. Then the volume would control the receiver at all times, and the rest of the buttons would be whatever mode was selected.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for putting me straight, jgatie. Your explanation was very clear.
Userlevel 2
I just set up a Playbar and the results have been good for the most part. I've disabled the speakers on my 4 year old Samsung TV and I'm now getting the TV sound through the Playbar and I can control the Playbar's volume with the cable remote - all good things. However, as I was warned by the SONOS installer, I see a short "Not Available" message on the TV screen each time I adjust the Playbar's volume. In fact, one SONOS installer window stated:

Some TVs will show a message that the TV speakers are disabled whenever a volume command is sent from the remote control. There are ways to avoid this message being shown. At the end of Sonos setup you will be told where to find more information on this.

I did not notice any information at the end of the setup and I am wondering if anyone can advise how to eliminate the popup "Not Available" message or provide a link to the information that the Sonos installer touted.

Thanks...

I cannot access the answer to this - it says answer not available. Can somebody please advise? I need to get rid of the "Not Available" message coming from my Samsung TV remote.

Thanks
I cannot access the answer to this - it says answer not available. Can somebody please advise? I need to get rid of the "Not Available" message coming from my Samsung TV remote.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2083
Userlevel 2
Sorry ratty - this link talks about cable provider remotes. I just need to know how to have the "Not Available" message coming from my Samsung TV remote disappear. This is the question from the original poster on this thread. Appreciate specific instructions to resolve this because the old answer thread is not accessible. Thanks
gdaga,

Unless you are using one of the SAMSUNG TV's that supply an IR blaster, eliminating the message while using a native SAMSUNG remote is not possible. Hopefully, SAMSUNG will update their TV's firmware to eliminate the message.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings