Question

Echo Dot Integration?

• 14 January 2017
  • 20 replies

Is there a date in sight for the integration with Echo Dot from Amazon? What is the current solution? I find more value on the automation and convenience than in the speaker quality so, if there is no current solution to integrate the Echo Dot with Play1, I will replace the speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It will becoming first part of this year - first part could be up to May .... we don't know. I would not expect to see anything in next 30 days as there have not been any rumblings around the board of anything imminent.

I'm not sure you can find anything better suited in the interim period - of course we are all impatient but hopefully the quality of integration is there vs. rush to market.
I am not a music expert, in fact sometimes I just like some noise around the house. The Sono Play speaker we have sounds brilliant, and I want to buy more. We also have an Amazon Echo dot, linked to Amazon Music unlimited, which is also great and I find myself listening more and more to the rubbish Echo Dot speaker rather than my Sonos, so I have a real dilemma.
At the moment the Echo Dot integration with Sonos, is happening sometime in 2017, I have seen "Before May", Q4 & Q3. What would be useful is a formal statement from Sonos as to when its happening, then I can make a decision on buying 5 more Play products or buying Echo Speakers instead.

So come on Sonos, when? nail it down to a month, I can't be the only person considering this, and Denon Heos has announced their integration for Q1 2017.
Badge
Sonos is always tight-lipped about pretty much everything - one of my (and others) biggest gripes. I don't really see why they do it either, it can only hurt their operations
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I have come to the conclusion that the Sonos way, albeit frustrating, is better. Better than Microsoft, for example, who announce things that they then never deliver upon or just lose interest after an initial implementation.
I'm with bockersjv. While it's frustrating to not know what's being worked on, they also don't get a backlash when the implementation of a particular feature isn't done on the preannounced time. Being in an agile software environment, I recognize that the intended "milestones" aren't always met, for various reasons. And delays from a pre-announced date would generate much more severe backlash, in my opinion. Unfortunately, software development isn't always as predictable as we would like.
Userlevel 1
I am with Bacon. I have Play1s and cant afford a Play 5 to connect my Dot up to. How is the Dot proposed to connect to a Play 1 when the Play 1 has no bluetooth or line in??
Isn't it obvious? They will integrate over WiFi, just like light bulbs, thermostats, alarm systems, garage door openers, etc.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I've dabbled with Echo Dot - Sonos integration with the Simple Control app as an intermediary (Simple Control is an Alexa skill and Simple Control can control Sonos)

It is clunky to set up and I'd hope that Sonos will do a much better job themselves but it did provide a glimpse of what should be possible, being able to start/stop/skip tracks and adjust volume by voice control. I have an Echo Dot in my kitchen so Sonos is for background music and voice control when cooking is very useful.

One thing I noticed which was not really surprising, when playing music loudly from Sonos, the Echo Dot can be unresponsive to voice commands so I ended up shouting at Alexa...

...One thing I noticed which was not really surprising, when playing music loudly from Sonos, the Echo Dot can be unresponsive to voice commands so I ended up shouting at Alexa...

According to the rumor mill (macrumors.com Nov. 29) Amazon is working on a new Echo speaker that will be bigger and louder. I wonder if this will have the same challenges hearing commands at higher volumes or if there is some tech trick they plan to use to keep it responsive to commands when you turn the music up?
I have the play bar and sub. Bought an Echo Dot, which I love. Thought I could hook it up to the playbar...Can't. TV is already hooked up. Read online that a play:1 hooks right up to it, so I bought one. It actually doesn't and Sonos is not revealing any way around it or giving a date when this might work....Sooooooo I will be returning the Play:1 today. Step up your game Sonos. Technology is leaving you behind.
Lol. Sonos is the very first multi-room speaker to announce integration with Amazon Alexa, release set for later this year. So it seems they have already "stepped up their game" (good God, I hate that stupid phrase!). It appears the only game that needs stepping up is your ability to correctly research a consumer electronics product.
Oh hi, Sonos employee. I get that. I'm just saying you are way behind the game because so many others have already integrated. I am $1600 out of pocket with your products so it's safe to say I have researched consumer electronics, including yours. How about instead of trolling your own company's message boards you figure out how to connect to Alexa. Thanks!!
Badge
I have the play bar and sub. Bought an Echo Dot, which I love. Thought I could hook it up to the playbar...Can't. TV is already hooked up. Read online that a play:1 hooks right up to it, so I bought one. It actually doesn't and Sonos is not revealing any way around it or giving a date when this might work....Sooooooo I will be returning the Play:1 today. Step up your game Sonos. Technology is leaving you behind.
Badge
I have a play 5 and two play 1s. I used the line-in on play 5 but the sound quality was awful so im really looking forward to the Alexa integration.
Not a Sonos employee, but nice try. Sonos employees are marked as such.

"So many others have integrated" - Care to name one other multi-room audio company which has?

". . . you figure out how to connect to Alexa." - I believe that's exactly what they are doing as we speak.
Badge

"So many others have integrated" - Care to name one other multi-room audio company which has?

". . . you figure out how to connect to Alexa." - I believe that's exactly what they are doing as we speak.
Badge
It will be great when it integrates. I managed to get to the Sonos shop on a holiday in December. (Soho Nyc). It is really good aànd staff were cool and laidback.Which i found to be a good thing.

The amazon echo can be used to do this. Not an audio company but that doesn't matter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
The amazon echo can be used to do this. Not an audio company but that doesn't matter.
I wasn't aware that the Amazon Echo was a multi-room sound system. Mine certainly isn't and compared to a Play 1 it is rubbish sounding.

Yes, it may be a little frustrating to have to use hands and tablets to play music at present but take heart that Sonos appear to be taking Voice Control seriously (As per recent CEO interviews) and to be trying to do it comprehensibly. This is encouraging as a bad implementation would be worse than none.