Answered

Dynamic Range help, please

• 28 March 2018
  • 6 replies

My initial Sonos set up includes Connect:AMP, two paired Sonos 5, and a Sub. They are all located in the same room. I have the SUB opposite of the speakers, which I think is one of the recommended set up ways by Sonos. I have a CD player as the main source of music into Sonos. However, I am not feeling the "love" of a good dynamic range with this set up compared to my old conventional speakers. I have re-calibrated SUB twice through Sonos App and dynamic range is still missing. I don't see easily any other user-managed settings in the App besides a basic equalizer. Is there anything else I can do to get the legendary Sonos sound? Is there any way to tell that SUB is actually working when CD is playing through Line-in? Is there any Connect:AMP settings I can improve (I don't see easily any special Connect:AMP settings in Sonos App) Otherwise, i am pretty disappointed...
icon

Best answer by Kumar 29 March 2018, 03:48

While Trueplay is something to be investigated, Sonos delivered HiFi quality sound from much before the release of Trueplay as well, if traditional approaches to optimise speaker placement and room acoustics were used.

Opposite of the speakers is NOT a Sonos recommendation as such: all they say is keep the Sub wherever you want to. But best results for music from a 1 pair, I have found, is when the Sub is kept somewhere between the two 1 units, in the same plane. Exact centre is an ideal that isn't needed, but close to centre is always good. If that is done, and the 1 units are kept with the same care used for "HiFi" speakers, Trueplay will often not change the sound signature because no change is needed; and the sound quality is as good as most traditional set ups at up to twice the price point.

Finally, if you like the sound of your old speakers, that is more of it being a subjective preference for their sound signature and not a dynamic range lack in Sonos. Why don't you use the Connect Amp with these if the preference is strong? You should get the same exact sound if you have not relocated the speakers, and if you keep the other Sonos units turned off. And if you deploy the Sub as suggested with the Connect Amp, you ought to get the preferred sound made better via the Sub, if the old speakers are not as bass capable as the Sub.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you done trueplay tuning on all the speakers?
No, I don't have a single iOS device in our household. Any other ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Borrow an iOS device. You want to do trueplay.
While Trueplay is something to be investigated, Sonos delivered HiFi quality sound from much before the release of Trueplay as well, if traditional approaches to optimise speaker placement and room acoustics were used.

Opposite of the speakers is NOT a Sonos recommendation as such: all they say is keep the Sub wherever you want to. But best results for music from a 1 pair, I have found, is when the Sub is kept somewhere between the two 1 units, in the same plane. Exact centre is an ideal that isn't needed, but close to centre is always good. If that is done, and the 1 units are kept with the same care used for "HiFi" speakers, Trueplay will often not change the sound signature because no change is needed; and the sound quality is as good as most traditional set ups at up to twice the price point.

Finally, if you like the sound of your old speakers, that is more of it being a subjective preference for their sound signature and not a dynamic range lack in Sonos. Why don't you use the Connect Amp with these if the preference is strong? You should get the same exact sound if you have not relocated the speakers, and if you keep the other Sonos units turned off. And if you deploy the Sub as suggested with the Connect Amp, you ought to get the preferred sound made better via the Sub, if the old speakers are not as bass capable as the Sub.
Note also that adding a 5 pair into the mix will only achieve even sound levels across the entire room, and can at times degrade the quality of sound from the old speakers - particularly things like stereo imaging - that remain in use in the same room. More isn't always better in this case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My initial Sonos set up includes Connect:AMP, two paired Sonos 5, and a Sub. They are all located in the same room. I have the SUB opposite of the speakers, which I think is one of the recommended set up ways by Sonos. I have a CD player as the main source of music into Sonos. However, I am not feeling the "love" of a good dynamic range with this set up compared to my old conventional speakers. I have re-calibrated SUB twice through Sonos App and dynamic range is still missing. I don't see easily any other user-managed settings in the App besides a basic equalizer. Is there anything else I can do to get the legendary Sonos sound? Is there any way to tell that SUB is actually working when CD is playing through Line-in? Is there any Connect:AMP settings I can improve (I don't see easily any special Connect:AMP settings in Sonos App) Otherwise, i am pretty disappointed...
First, let's check terminology: Dynamic Range is simply the difference between the quietest and loudest sounds that the speakers produce. Is that what you're referring to? In that case, is the problem that the speakers don't play loud enough, or that they don't play quietly enough?

Note that you can verify SUB operation by switching it on and off during playback via a Sonos controller.