Answered

downgrading

• 11 September 2022
  • 9 replies

i have Sonos Move but because of my OS (12+ on iphone 6) have to downgrade it to S1 in order to use it. I understand this means certain Move features may be lost but can’t find any info about what they might be. Anyone know?

Another related question - if I downgrade to S1 can I then upgrade it back to S2 if I get the suitable OS (14+)?

icon

Best answer by buzz 11 September 2022, 22:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

There are some cosmetic differences. If you use a NAS drive to store your music, you may need to reconfigure the drive to support SMBv1. SONOS Radio will not be available on S1. You can look through the updates here.

You will be able to upgrade later.

If MOVE is your only SONOS product, note that the downgrade will require a Factory Reset of the MOVE and this will trash all of your SONOS Playlists and music service registrations. Of course this is repairable, but it will require some effort.

thanks buzz - i assume you mean Playlists and registrations that I’ve made myself, rather than anything pre-existing on the product (?)

Out of the box, there are no pre-existing. Factory Reset restores to “out of the box”.

thanks

oh, and would the same issue of losing playlists etc apply if I’d set these up on S1 then upgraded to S2?

They will transfer to S2.

thanks buzz

there’s one more thing you might be able to help me with. while trying to downgrade i get stuck because S2 app says it can’t find the Move, so I can’t proceed. i’m pretty sure i’ve reset the product etc as required so am finding this hard to understand, especially as the S1 app CAN find the Move.

as i explained above i’m having to downgrade because of my ios but i think the s2 app should still work to downgrade with 12+ (?)

i wonder if you have any thoughts about this before i contact Sonos support (who haven’t been great so far I have to say).

Hmm, this could get nasty because you’ll need to run S2 briefly in order to be able to downgrade to S1. Borrowing newer phone/pad for a few minutes will be required. If the owner of that phone/pad has a SONOS system, you’ll need to be very careful not to disrupt their system or end up with your MOVE being part of their system.

The easiest approach would be to borrow a phone/pad from a non SONOS user. You’ll then be able to install and uninstall SONOS controllers without worrying about wrecking one or the other system. After you have the MOVE running S1, then you can use your own S1 controller. Once things are working on your phone, uninstall controllers from the borrowed phone/pad.

thanks, that’s extremely helpful.