Answered

Dolby Digital through my TV stops working

• 4 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have an Apple TV 4th Gen, Samsung HU8550 TV and Sonos Playbar and 2 Play:1. It took me a long time to figure out how to get Dolby Digital playing. But after some time it did not seem like I was getting surround and checked the setup. My TV had stopped sending Dolby Digital and was setting just PCM and would not allow me to set it back to Dolby Digital. After a lot of fiddling I got it working again but again after a short time it would switch back to PCM and the Dolby Digital option was again not available for the optical output on my TV.

So I guess I am out of luck without getting a new TV. But my TV works perfectly otherwise and replacing a 60" tv is not a small expense. I might try to sell my Sonos setup but how do I tell someone it will work with their TV without an official supported device list? If I sell it I would not buy Sonos again until they have an HDMI input.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 4 September 2017, 18:26

They have a beta release that's supposedly fixing this problem. You can "apply" by posting a diagnostic in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Usually, the TV won't change to Dolby Digital unless the signal being sent to it is that particular kind of signal. You may want to check all of the sources that are connected to the TV, and look at all of their audio settings to make sure that they're set to something other than stereo/PCM (specifically Dolby Digital)
I have the same problem.
after the last update, I´m having problem with my samsung UE75K8000,
IT HAS BEEN WORKING PROPERLY, for months with DOLBY DIGITAL ,TOSLINK output, and from a week, stop working, just a low bips, only works, with PCM. any source, IPTV DECODER, AIR TV, NETFLIX, ETC.
the smart tv has not MADE any update soft.
They have a beta release that's supposedly fixing this problem. You can "apply" by posting a diagnostic in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/no-sound-on-certain-channels-after-system-update-today-6789926