Answered

Dolby atmos doesn't work

• 12 June 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi guys, I just bought a sonos arc and two one sl and I have a Sony x900h.

I connected a external hard drive to the TV with a uhd remux movie with Dolby Atmos but I can't hear the Dolby atmos.

How can I change it?

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 June 2021, 11:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

What are your TV’s audio settings set to? Do you have the latest firmware installed on your TV? Are you able to get Dolby Atmos from other sources?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

And, is the program you’re watching being broadcast in Atmos? 

I have the latest firmware on my TV and I have also a nvidia shield tv pro that can play Dolby Atmos too.

If I connect the hard drive to the TV directly I can hear Dolby 2.0.

If I connect to the shield I receive pcm 5.1/7.1 but no Dolby atmos 

I'm using vlc player in both sources

Userlevel 7

How exactly is the hard drive connected to the TV? Are you sure the movie file is encoded in Dolby Atmos? Have you tested any other Dolby Atmos films on your hard drive?

The hard drive is connected with a USB cable.

All the movies that I have in these drive are in Dolby 5.1 o Dolby atmos but I don't success to receive the right encoding.

The vlc player supports Dolby atmos?

Maybe this is the problem... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Emacardozo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I personally have a nVidia Shield Pro too, and I recommend you connect your drive to that (assuming your TV is happy to passthrough multichannel sound from external HDMI sources).

You may also need to check your audio settings for the Shield - “Auto” may be the best choice, or you can manually select Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital + and Atmos. Finally, check the audio settings for VLC on the Shield too.

I personally don’t get any audio from VLC either, but use Plex without issue. Your Shield comes with Plex Media Server pre-installed, but you may need to install the Plex client too to make it work. Manually, make sure both are up-to-date in the Play Store, then go to http://plex.tv on a different device to set Plex up. You’ll need to create a free account if you don’t have one already.

If you want to keep your Drive connected to the TV, you may want to adjust VLC settings on the TV as well as the TV settings, or try another player.

I hope this helps.

Hi my friend, thanks you very much for your help and for your time.

I also success to hear Dolby atmos on vlc player.

Have a great day and thanks again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Emacardozo 

Glad to hear it, and you are very welcome! Enjoy!