Answered

Does the Zoneplayer S5 pair with Play 5?

• 2 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
I see a zoneplayer s5 for sale. Can I use this to create a stereo pair with a first gen Play 5. Does it work with WiFi? I’m not sure of the difference between the two.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 2 October 2019, 03:23

Hi @aquapowers, the old ZonePlayer S5, renamed to the Play:5 gen1 at the time the Play:3 launched, is very different from the modern day Play:5 gen2. The two units have pretty much 0 components the same, in fact, even the audio profile for the two is very different.

You can only make a stereo pair out of two like speakers. Play:1s with Play:1s, Sonos Ones with Sonos Ones, or Sonos One SL. And the Play:5 gen1 can only be stereo paired with another Play:5 gen1.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi @aquapowers, the old ZonePlayer S5, renamed to the Play:5 gen1 at the time the Play:3 launched, is very different from the modern day Play:5 gen2. The two units have pretty much 0 components the same, in fact, even the audio profile for the two is very different.

You can only make a stereo pair out of two like speakers. Play:1s with Play:1s, Sonos Ones with Sonos Ones, or Sonos One SL. And the Play:5 gen1 can only be stereo paired with another Play:5 gen1.
Userlevel 1
I see a zoneplayer s5 for sale. Can I use this to create a stereo pair with a first gen Play 5. Does it work with WiFi? I’m not sure of the difference between the two.

Thank you Ryan. How about the ZonePlayer S5 and the Play:5 gen 1 for stereo pairing. Was it only a name change?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Yes, You can pair the zone player S5 and the Gen 1 play5 (which basically a rebranded S5) as a stereo pair. You just can’t mix generations of the play 5.