Do all apps work on Sonos controller cr200?

Badge +1

Hello!  I still use the Sonos controller cr200 with my S1 system.  I recently added the BBC Sounds app (using the S1 app) and that doesn't seem to work on the controller.  Neither does Sonos Radio.   They both work with the S1 app on my iPhone.  However, the Spotify app and 80s 80s Radio app does work on the controller.  

Is the reason the BBC Sounds and Sonos Radio apps not working on the Controller due to the type/content of the apps?

Thanks. 

14 replies

I’ve seen at least one other post in the community mentioning this. I don’t think the CR200 hardware controller has been updated in quite some time, so it likely won’t support any of new services mentioned. I personally assume it’s a memory/hardware limitation, but as you say the S1 App has the new radio features on currently supported mobile controllers.

CR200 is at build 36.4-77130, which looks like version 7.3 to me. That was back around mid/late 2017, so a good bit before Sonos Radio came along and definitely before BBC Sounds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Probably due to the TLS / certificate changes made in the newer music services. Same reason the CR100 was eventually retired - its platform (Flash) could not be updated to handle it. Never had a CR200 so not sure what platform it was based on.

This issue is really affecting me, we have used Sonos for years in our holiday guest homes with CR200 controllers in each property. Now tune in doesn’t provide BBC radio Sonos told me to yse BBC sounds instead. This of course doesn’t work with the CR200. 

Sonos opened a case for me and camr back and said basically tough, it doesn’t work, get over it. 

They suggested getting my guests to download the controller on their smartphones but even if I wanted to give my guests the hassle of doing that it wouldn’t work anyway as there are no actual Sonos devices in the guest cottages. It’s all set up with concealed speakers in the  walls and ceilings and connect amps in a separate server room

Assuming they can’t or won’t fix the CR200’s anyone got any suggestions a to how to proceed?

I’m thinking the best way might be to buy some mini ipads or android tablets and locking them down with kiosk software but it’s a fairly costly solution  

ideall Sonos would fix the problem, can’t see why Spotify works but they can’t sort anything out for Sonos radio and BBC sounds  

By the way having deleted BBC sounds from the systems I can’t get it to disappear from the CR200 screens- anyone know an answer to this?

Amazon Fire tablets are a relatively cheap way of giving visitors dedicated controllers.  

Voice control is another possibility (e.g. using Echo Dots) but you or some of your visitors may have privacy concerns,

Incidentally, are settings password protected on the CR200 or could guests change them?

Other than a few very basic settings nothing can be done on a CR200, you hsve to do any system changes on a smartphone controller. 

This makes it ideal for guest use as they can’t mess anything up. 

Simon 

Userlevel 1

I have just had an inconclusive support call with Sonos Support re the CR200 controller. For many reasons, including privacy, I don’t want to use my mobile phone as a controller. If you have a desk top or lap top computer, you can launch BBC sounds to any room. This will allow you to turn it off with your CR200 controller and turn it on again, provided it was the last streaming service used in that room. A bit inconvenient but better than nothing. It seems to me, that it would not take a great deal of effort on the part of Sonos to rectify the problem, but I suspect this is not part of their enforced obsolescence programme and intrusive software (one of the reasons I don’t want to use my phone. I am considering switching to Bluesound multi room. It does have a dedicated controller as well as a phone app option. Also gets good hi-res reviews.

The Bluesound remote looks fairly basic, though perhaps a preset would do the job of starting the required stream.

As noted a few months back, the CR200 probably has issues supporting the authentication that services now require, not to mention potential memory limits. 

If you’re that concerned about the Sonos app somehow infringing your privacy -- and modern mobile OSes have all kinds of checks/permissions before they’ll allow anything -- why not just get a cheap Amazon tablet to use as a dedicated Sonos controller.

Badge +20

@Dweeb 

The Bluesound RC1 remote is very nice to use, it’s well made but also makes operating a Bluesound device very easy. As ratty says you can configure the 10 presets to either start a playlist, radio stream or switch to an input whilst also setting a volume level on a preset.

A single press gets music playing without the tedium of using a iOS / Android controller, nearly as easy as hifi used to be.

A single press gets music playing without the tedium of using a iOS / Android controller, nearly as easy as hifi used to be.

A ‘tedium’ which can always be avoided by using things such as IKEA shortcut buttons or even Sonos Voice Control.

Badge +20

A ‘tedium’ which can always be avoided by using things such as IKEA shortcut buttons or even Sonos Voice Control.

More tedious than having to find an IKEA Tradfi (which are no long available and replacement due possibly October) and configuring the thing? The buttons also have issues with battery life for some and only lasting a few days and then only give you three “sequences” 

It’s getting off topic, but the problem with the shortcut buttons like this is they are limited to ikea’s smart home world. Other such remotes and buttons have similar restrictions.  Maybe this is something Matter can eventually address.  The other is that you’re limited to just one button, where as a panel of buttons maybe much more useful and fit the need better.  I mean, you’d have to have buttons for each Sonos radio and BBC sounds station you might want to listen to, and have the buttons properly labeled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

All Sonos devices are on a separate network i presume, so Airplay for your iPhone owning guests at least is off te cards?

You could also look at in wall controllers like https://www.brilliant.tech/products/brilliant-control-two-switch-smart-lighting-smart-home-control?variant=white. I know there’s another (British) manufacturer of such a controller, but I can’t seem to find it. I know someone on this community has one an send regular updates. The search function on this forum seems to actively prevents you from finding anything worthwile, but maybe you’re better at this than I am.

Badge +20

https://violet-ultra.co.uk

Cost wise you need the switch, Philips Hue bulb(s), Hue Bridge and happy to alter your wiring (Requires L&N at the switch which UK does not have - normally)