Distortion with Connect and Turntable

I am trying to connect my turntable to my Sonos system but when I play a record I am hearing a lot of distortion. Right now I am using a Crosley turntable, with a Pyle PP999 Amp, plugged into a Sonos Connect.

I've validated that the turntable doesn't have a pre-amp (by plugging it directly into the Connect). I've also checked the audio from the turntable through it's speakers and headphone jack (and don't hear the distortion). I thought it could be the preamp but everything I've read said the PP999 works well with Sonos.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I saw a previous thread that said make sure your audio-in wasn't set on Phono but I don't see that in the room options for the Connect (only the ability to change the Line-In Source Level).

Below is a similar model to the turntable I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-CR6023A-NA-Turntable-Bluetooth-Natural/dp/B015ACX5IG/ref=sr_1_20?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1513448622&sr=1-20&keywords=crosley+record+player

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Have you tried reducing the Line In Source amplification level on the Connect? Probably should be set to 1 or 2, given the output of your pre-amp.
Yes. I have set it to a 1 and still encountering the problem.
I'm going to bet that the cheesy turntable has a ceramic cartridge, as most ultra low end turntables do. Ceramic cartridges put out much higher voltage than magnetic cartridges, so you are overdriving the preamp into gross distortion. You MIGHT be able to drive the Sonos line in directly from the turntable, though the level may be low.
Is there are turntable you recommend if that's the issue?
Warne wrote:

Is there are turntable you recommend if that's the issue?

Back in the day, the easy choice for value would be the AR-XA. It’s still a fine performer if refurbished.

Today, about the most basic deck with anything approaching decent performance is something like the U-Turn Orbit. It doesn’t have the engineering genius of AR’s Ed Villchur behind its design, but should do an OK job.

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Warne, it sounds like you may have isolated the problem to the turntable, but just to make sure, have you tested wiring a different audio device to the line-in of the Connect?

Recently we’ve started to carry the Pro-Ject Essential III turntable on our webstore, which has a built-in phono preamp. Personally, I’ve been using a U-Turn Orbit Plus for the past few years and think it’s great. As Chicks already mentioned, it’s a nice entry level table that will get the job done.
I just received my U Turn Orbit turntable. I purchased it because Sonos recommended this very one and it's Pluto built in pre- amp. I have tried everything to get decent (and enough) sound using line in to my Play 5. Sounds thin and lousy and I am experiencing a low hum which increases as I turn volume up. I tried adjusting the line in settings to increase volume and that just exacerbates the hum. I connected the turn table to my stereo system independent of Sonos and it plays fine. Sound is full and nicely detailed.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Patchman wrote:

I just received my U Turn Orbit turntable. I purchased it because Sonos recommended this very one and it's Pluto built in pre- amp. I have tried everything to get decent (and enough) sound using line in to my Play 5. Sounds thin and lousy and I am experiencing a low hum which increases as I turn volume up. I tried adjusting the line in settings to increase volume and that just exacerbates the hum. I connected the turn table to my stereo system independent of Sonos and it plays fine. Sound is full and nicely detailed.

Hi Patchman and welcome to the community. From my understanding, the U-Turn with a built-in pre-amp has an on/off button. Can you verify that when you're using it with the Play:5 that it's enabled? As a test, try using a different audio device with the Play:5, such as a smartphone with a music app. Do you still hear a low hum?
Hi, I have the u turn orbit with the built in amp connected to the connect amp playing two play ones... in the app it has the room set up with the play ones and then a separate set up for the amp, is this correct? At first It didn’t seem to go loud enough but then I figured out how to raise the line in level, so now I have it at level 8 but I’m getting like a humming feed back, is this normal? Is there anything I can do to change this or help it besides lowering the line in level and losing volume? Thank you!

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings