Answered

Digital audio output

• 29 December 2021
  • 12 replies

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-52D64U Could you please advise how to turn the internal speakers off on this model so that I can attach a sound bar.  (If this is the problem).  The sound bar is connected to the TV through the digital audio output terminal but will not play sound.  (in absence of HDMI-arc.)  The only audio adjustment is the variable or fixed option mentioned in previous discussions and changing to variable doesn't get me sound on the Beam.  There is no other setting on the TV menu.  SONOS has determined through diagnostics that the Beam is connected to my TV properly through the digital optic output but I still get no sound from the beam

icon

Best answer by opus02 1 January 2022, 00:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Set the sound-out to the ‘optical port’ rather than the TV internal speakers and set the audio to Dolby Digital (not PCM) - see extract from the online user manual attached.

I do not have a menu item that contains the noted options.  On the menu I have digital set up option but when I click on it it only shows “software update” that when licked on says insert usb with update

I do not have a menu item that contains the noted options.  On the menu I have digital set up option but when I click on it it only shows “software update” that when licked on says insert usb with update

Don’t know then?.. Can you perhaps locate your TV user-manual online and check that it matches your TV setup and post a link to it here. Then perhaps someone here can maybe assist you further.

This is the link I used earlier:

http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTVs/Manuals/tel_man_LC42_46_52D64U.pdf

Page 47

So not sure why your TV is different to that user-manual ?

My onscreen TV menu seems to be a touch different than in the user manual I have which came with the TV.  The link you provided is the same physical manual I have.  The remote matches the manual as well.  The illustrations in the manual do not correspond to the one that comes up when I press “menu” on the remote or the back of the TV.   Perhaps there could be a software update?  I do not find any on the Sharp website for the model I have.  

I note that in the opening pages of the manual it says that “the  illustrations and on screen misplays are for explanation purposes and may vary slightly from the actual operations.  The examples are based on the 42 in model LC-42D64U”

I would perhaps begin by downloading the latest TV firmware update for your TV make/model and using the manufacturers instructions install it from a USB stick to get it up to date and then perhaps follow the instructions mentioned. If you’re unsure about that then maybe contact your TV support desk staff to see if they will kindly assist you to do that and set the correct TV settings for your external speaker.

Well, Sharp advises they do not have an update, and they further said that with the HDMI from the PVR it will override the digital optical output so that no sound comes from the TV through the Beam.  they suggested using the audio out RCA jacks to connect the soundbar, but the soundbar has no RCA plug ins.

I ordered a converter RCA to HDMI so  when that gets here I will see if that solves the issue.

I ordered a converter RCA to HDMI so  when that gets here I will see if that solves the issue.

Oh dear, I fear the worst here… the Beam (gen 1) is not just a plain HDMI connection - it is HDMI-ARC. If it’s the Beam (gen 2), then its connection is HDMI-eARC (enhanced ARC).

That means it has an audio return channel and it also requires the HDMI-CEC protocol to be part of the setup connection unless the optical to HDMI adapter (included in the Sonos box) is involved somewhere in the connection. 

I’m concerned therefore that your audio "Analog to Digital" adapter may likely not work, but if you can perhaps post a link to the adapter here, maybe others here in the community can take a closer look at its spec. and maybe state if it’s likely going to work.. or of course, you can just try it and see.🤞

It is a gen2 Beam.  I am hoping that just using the audio output and not the video will work like the attachments of playstation or old nintendo they say will.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RX69KR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I personally don’t think that adapter will work (sorry I really don’t wish to sound so negative:frowning2: ) - it ‘might’ have worked had it got an optical-out connection and you could have then used the ‘optical to HDMI’ adapter, included with your Beam, but even then I’m not sure that is the case either.

Maybe others here will chip in with their views too. 

Whatever happens, I sincerely hope you prove me wrong and can get this connection issue sorted quickly with your TV. Let me know if you do manage to sort it.👍

You were right, it didn't.  Sharp help line in Canada was of no use, the US help line said that the HDMI input cancels the RCA, and their opinion was the TV could not support the Beam in any set up.  I could set up a home theater receiver and satellite speakers using HDMI to that unit but the room isn't big enough for that and I don't want to buy another receiver and speakers.  I did find a solution though.  I gave the TV away and got a new one with HDMI eARC.  Thanks for your help.  New tech just needs new or not very old tech to function.