Answered

Did I do it right? Play + Controller

Badge
Hello,

I am currently debugging my network as I face the loss of connectivity to my speakers. As only change, I recently added two more speakers to my setup. Now it is 1 controller + 4 Play:1.

While looking at the thing, I see 4 SonosZP speakers show up in the WLAN of my Router (not Controller, Router).

My Question is: should the Router be aware of my Speakers? As I have understood, the Sonos Controller should open up a network only for the Speakers. It looks to me as I would have done something wrong, since the Router is aware of the Speakers - thus, maybe messing up my WLAN as they are already 10 devices connected.

Do I need to rerun the setup? Or is it normal the Speakers are connected to the Routers WLAN too?

Cheers,
Christian
icon

Best answer by ratty 5 March 2018, 18:02

Everything is in order.

There's no 'separate network'. All Sonos devices are stations on the router's IP subnet. Players default to the network name "SonosZP".

If a user chooses to wire one of the Sonos units, they all then interconnect using SonosNet. Think of it as a private WiFi if you wish. The devices are still all part of the router's IP subnet.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Everything is in order.

There's no 'separate network'. All Sonos devices are stations on the router's IP subnet. Players default to the network name "SonosZP".

If a user chooses to wire one of the Sonos units, they all then interconnect using SonosNet. Think of it as a private WiFi if you wish. The devices are still all part of the router's IP subnet.
Badge
Thank you @ratty!