Question

Desktop Controller for Mac won't connect to Sonos Network

Good morning-

I have a 2014 MBP. I'm using a Bridge to set up Sonos. I can connect to my Sonos system using my iOS apps and control it that way, but I can't get the desktop controller to connect to the existing Sonos system. I've tried powering on and off the bridge, setting up as new system, but the desktop controller won't connect to the Sonos system. I can connect and control things from my iPhone and iPad, just not my desktop (when I'm working). I've also tried resetting the controller. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

32 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Have you checked your firewall settings on the MBP https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2069/~/how-to-configure-mac-os-x-firewall

Also - be sure it is connecting to the same wifi as the ios
I am having the same problem. It worked for the first day then my Macbook Pro Controller stopped connecting to system. I can control Sonos on my iPhone and iPad but Macbook Pro will not recognize and connect to system. I have two PLAY:1 set up in left/right configuration.

I've tried resetting modem/router, Sonos, Macbook Pro...still no luck. I've checked all my firewall settings. Very bizarre that Macbook Pro Controller would disconnect and stop recognizing Sonos systems overnight, especially when I changed no settings on WiFi, computer, or Sonos. Please advise!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Also having this issue - 2014 MBP running Yosemite - reinstalled controller - no luck. Also tried installing as a new system (vs connecting to current) and it also didn't work. I updated firewall setting as per instructions and the controller worked before. Can someone look into this?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
ctt522 wrote:

I am having the same problem. It worked for the first day then my Macbook Pro Controller stopped connecting to system. I can control Sonos on my iPhone and iPad but Macbook Pro will not recognize and connect to system. I have two PLAY:1 set up in left/right configuration.

I've tried resetting modem/router, Sonos, Macbook Pro...still no luck. I've checked all my firewall settings. Very bizarre that Macbook Pro Controller would disconnect and stop recognizing Sonos systems overnight, especially when I changed no settings on WiFi, computer, or Sonos. Please advise!!!

Does it work on other devices? Could you submit a diagnostic for me from the Macbook pro.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
dperque wrote:

Also having this issue - 2014 MBP running Yosemite - reinstalled controller - no luck. Also tried installing as a new system (vs connecting to current) and it also didn't work. I updated firewall setting as per instructions and the controller worked before. Can someone look into this?

How is your Macbook connected to the network? Is it just the Macbook that is unable to connect with Sonos? Please 2014 MBP and post the confirmation number here.
I have a similar problem. I have had a Sonos system for several years and it has always worked fine with my IPad and my desk top iMac. It still works with the iPad but since updating to OSX El Capitan it has not worked with the iMac. I have tried downloading the Sonos app again as well as restarting the Bridge and the computer. I have checked the settings on my Firewall and my McAfee security software. It keeps saying that the Sonos system cannot be found. I cannot submit a diagnostic from the iMac because Sonos just tries (and fails) to find my Sonos system if I go to the Help menu/Sumbmit diagnostic. What can I do?
I have the same issue. My iMac will no longer find my Sonos system since I upgraded to OS El Capitan 10.11.3.

Does anyone have a fix for this??

Thanks for your help.
I also have a Mac on El Capitan, not sure that's the problem. Both my Mac & iPad can not longer find my iTunes Library. I can play from my iPad, but only from "On this iPad". I just updated my Sonos apps on both. Last time I tried accessing my iTunes Library worked just fine... didn't change anything.
I just fixed it. Open iTunes and go to Preferences > Devices. I unchecked 'Prevent iPods iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically'. I'm thinking my iTunes may have updated recently and I forgot. Then I was able to update my Music Library in Sonos. This had been greyed out before.
I tried all the tips above but the one thing that worked for me was un-installing and re-installing the remote software. Easy fix.
I'm having the same problem on my Macbook Air. It's on the same network as my iPhone, which plays the Sonos fine, but the Air can't find the controller. Reinstalled controller software, tried Laureen's idea about unchecking 'Prevent iPods iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically' in iTunes. No love.

I just submitted a diagnostic, 6095719
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
ellem wrote:

I'm having the same problem on my Macbook Air. It's on the same network as my iPhone, which plays the Sonos fine, but the Air can't find the controller. Reinstalled controller software, tried Laureen's idea about unchecking 'Prevent iPods iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically' in iTunes. No love.

I just submitted a diagnostic, 6095719

Hi Ellem,

Please check and make sure that your computer's firewall or antivirus is properly configured, here's how.

If that doesn't help, please send a diagnostic report from your iPhone, reply with the confirmation number, and I'll compare it with the report from your computer.
Userlevel 1
Same problem here: able to control Sonos from multiple Android and iOS devices, but Macs won't connect.

Symptom is "Your Sonos system was not found." After resetting the controller and trying again, it takes a very long time in "Please wait while the connection is completed..." and finally says that it's connected, but then goes back to the original "not found" message.

I just tried again with the Mac's firewall turned off, in order to ensure that it wasn't the issue. (There's no antivirus software on this computer.) Same result.

I submitted diagnostics immediately afterward, confirmation number 6103537.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
cph wrote:

Same problem here: able to control Sonos from multiple Android and iOS devices, but Macs won't connect.

Symptom is "Your Sonos system was not found." After resetting the controller and trying again, it takes a very long time in "Please wait while the connection is completed..." and finally says that it's connected, but then goes back to the original "not found" message.

I just tried again with the Mac's firewall turned off, in order to ensure that it wasn't the issue. (There's no antivirus software on this computer.) Same result.

I submitted diagnostics immediately afterward, confirmation number 6103537.

Hi Cph,

It would be best to work with our phone team to get your Mac connected. I've created a support ticket for you: 160420-000791. Please give us a call and reference that number. Our phone number and hours can be found here.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
JSkinner32 wrote:

JSkinner32 wrote:

Hi JSkinner32,

Please follow the steps in this guide to configure your Mac's firewall for Sonos.

If that doesn't work, please let me know and I'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team for further troubleshooting.
pdxcubfan wrote:

Good morning-

I have a 2014 MBP. I'm using a Bridge to set up Sonos. I can connect to my Sonos system using my iOS apps and control it that way, but I can't get the desktop controller to connect to the existing Sonos system. I've tried powering on and off the bridge, setting up as new system, but the desktop controller won't connect to the Sonos system. I can connect and control things from my iPhone and iPad, just not my desktop (when I'm working). I've also tried resetting the controller. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I had a "d'oh!" moment. I realized later that I was connected to my corporate VPN at the same time I was trying to connect to my Sonos system. When I disconnected from the VPN, I was able to connect to Sonos with no issues. Completely user error. Face palm.
[quote=Jeff S]
JSkinner32 wrote:

JSkinner32 wrote:

I continue to have this same problem. My iPhone and iPad connect, but my MacBook Air will not. I checked the firewall, added Sonos and allowed incoming, but to no avail. I reset the controller, as many others have stated, after a long period, it said it connected, but then reverts to "not found". What is the fix for this?? It is obviously a wide spread issue.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Assuming you have configured your Mac firewall as per the guides above you need to ensure you aren't getting IP conflicts so should switch off your router, All Sonos gear and EVERYTHING attached to the network (phones, tablets, Mac and so on). Then switch on router, wait a few minutes, then Bridge or Boost if you have them, wait , then switch on Sonos speakers, wait a few mins. Then switch on the rest of your devices.

If you still have an issue connecting via your Mac after it fails to connect submit a diagnostic and record the number and out it in this thread.

BTW - It is highly unlikely to be a widespread issue as you suggest
Highly unlikely? I have the same problems as stated above, and I'm no newbie to all the setup requirements, firewall, correct wireless network, etc. This is a very long thread. I'm disappointed there's no published resolution. HOWEVER, a support call resolved the issue with outstanding service. Although Norton Security has SONOS listed as "Allow All Incoming Connections," Norton was actually blocking SONOS, even though it worked fine in the past (perhaps an update to Norton changed settings? Go figure). Temporariliy suspending Norton Firewall > Connection Blocking, Quitting Sonos, resuming Norton Connection Blocking, restarting SONOS... BINGO. Kudos to SONOS for having human beings on their support desk.
NealH, you are the man!
I bought Sonos a couple of weeks ago and this has been driving me nuts on my macbook!

I went through all of the mac firewall settings (it was disabled before I started, so I didn't think that would help) but your note about Norton set off a lightbulb... I have MacAfee Internet Security installed, so I had a look at the settings for the first time ever. My home network was configured as public. Changed it to home/work and Sonos started working immediately.
Still issues here. I have an Macbook Air 2013, and all my devices connect with my Sonos network smooth (iPhones/iPads), except this Macbook. Applied all solutions above (firewall settings, deconnecting, etc) and I have no anti-virus software, but still not working on this osx. Just submitted diagnostics with confirmation number is: 7202845. Anyone else a suggestion?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
ruudvc wrote:

Still issues here. I have an Macbook Air 2013, and all my devices connect with my Sonos network smooth (iPhones/iPads), except this Macbook. Applied all solutions above (firewall settings, deconnecting, etc) and I have no anti-virus software, but still not working on this osx. Just submitted diagnostics with confirmation number is: 7202845. Anyone else a suggestion?

Hi ruudvc,

Your Sonos units are connecting to your extended wireless network. What wireless network is your Mac connecting to? If it is connected to your main wireless network, can you try connecting to the extended network then see if you can connect the Sonos app?
I have connected to every one of my four networks, and no difference, neither one of my extended wifi networks make the Macbook connect. I'm at a loss. What else could it be?
Try a ping from the Air to one of your Sonos devices, you can get the IP from iOS Settings... About My Sonos Systems.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)