Designing the Sonos system??

Userlevel 2
Background
I am gutting a kitchen and plan to install music using Sonos. I will also have a flat screen TV in the kitchen but at this point (unless advised to try) do not plan on routing sound thru Sonos system. The kitchen size is narrow and long, 12 feet by 25 feet. One end will be cooking/cleaning area with island, the other end will have a breakfast eating area with small table. I am planning on 4 speakers in the entire kitchen, Zone 1. Also a deck with 2 speakers, Zone 2. At this point no plan to incorporate a living room home entertainment system / audio system.

I currently have structured wiring from DirecTV satellite to multiple TVs throughout the house.
I also have an AT&T DSL modem/wireless router on our home's third floor. The kitchen is two floors below the router, about 40 feet as the crow flies or 80 feet if CAT 5e wired after winding around obstacles. The router is somewhat limited, 4 wired ports plus wireless. May need to expand (thoughts?).

I want to source music from Pandora, ipod, laptop iTunes and probably use iPad as controller.

In the future, may want to integrate our home entertainment area with surround sound as a Zone 3.

Questions
Some of these questions may be dumb or make no sense, but to be honest, this setup thing is not straightforward.

I can get Cat 5e wired to the kitchen. I plan to run two lines from the third floor router, one for future internet TV and one for Sonos.

Should I terminate in the kitchen with a Sonos ZoneBridge or a ZP120? I initially thought I needed the bridge, but on further reading looks like I can run CAT 5e and terminate at the first ZP120 and it will then communicate with the other ZP120s.

I assume my kitchen will have two ZP120 (for four speakers total) and also a ZP120 for the deck (2 speakers).

Should I plan on having all three of these ZP120 in sort of the same area, behind a high cabinet perhaps with power source, with easy though limited access to humans. It seems only one of them needs to be hard wired to CAT 5e?

My speaker wire runs will be between 15 feet and 40 feet. Assume this is not a problem with #16?

I assume the deck ZP120 should NOT be exterior. Plan on running speaker wires thru the exterior walls. Correct?

Do the 2nd and third ZP120 communicate wirelessly with the first ZP120 (or BridgeRouter) directly or thru the home DSL router?

Does the laptop with iTunes communicate with Sonos thru my home DSL router (ie. thru the home network) or directly with the ZP120 (or ZoneBridge)??

Does the iPod wireless dock communicate directly with the Zp120 (or Bridge Router) or thru my home DSL router?

The purpose of these prior questions is to determine if I have to upgrade my DSL modem/wireless router to handle all these new Sonos wireless nodes.

I can only imagine that the iPad used as a controller does communicate using the home DSL modem/router.

Does the laptop with iTunes need any black box from Sonos or does it just need to be on the home network where Sonos "finds" it?

Finally, in this long kitchen would I be best positioning 2 left channels at one end and 2 right at the other end OR should I have a left and right channel over the breakfast table and another left and right channel at the island end of the kitchen?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

3 replies

Welcome to the forum.

Good thing we don't charge by the question! :p

bburkhead wrote:

The router is somewhat limited, 4 wired ports plus wireless. May need to expand (thoughts?)

The Sonos needs one of those ports at a minimum.

Questions

Should I terminate in the kitchen with a Sonos ZoneBridge or a ZP120? I initially thought I needed the bridge, but on further reading looks like I can run CAT 5e and terminate at the first ZP120 and it will then communicate with the other ZP120s.

One Sonos ZoneDevice must be wired to your router. If you can wire a ZonePlayer, then the ZoneBridge is not required.

I assume my kitchen will have two ZP120 (for four speakers total) and also a ZP120 for the deck (2 speakers).

A ZP120 can power 2 pairs of 8-ohm speakers by itself. Of course, both pairs will play the same music.

Should I plan on having all three of these ZP120 in sort of the same area, behind a high cabinet perhaps with power source, with easy though limited access to humans. It seems only one of them needs to be hard wired to CAT 5e?

Distributing them is usually the recommended setup, especially helpful if you acquire a Sonos CRx00 handheld controller (never say never). That said, they'll work close to each other too.

My speaker wire runs will be between 15 feet and 40 feet. Assume this is not a problem with #16?

The bigger the wire the better. #14 isn't that much more money.

I assume the deck ZP120 should NOT be exterior. Plan on running speaker wires thru the exterior walls. Correct?

That depends on your climate conditions, but it's probably better indoors.

Do the 2nd and third ZP120 communicate wirelessly with the first ZP120 (or BridgeRouter) directly or thru the home DSL router?

If you wire all of the ZP's, they'll choose the best path. If only one is wired, they'll have to use wireless only (Sonosnet)

Does the laptop with iTunes communicate with Sonos thru my home DSL router (ie. thru the home network) or directly with the ZP120 (or ZoneBridge)??

Via your network. Sonosnet is separate, and the two are connected (bridged) by the wired ZP.

Does the iPod wireless dock communicate directly with the Zp120 (or Bridge Router) or thru my home DSL router?

It uses Sonosnet.

I can only imagine that the iPad used as a controller does communicate using the home DSL modem/router.

Correct.

Does the laptop with iTunes need any black box from Sonos or does it just need to be on the home network where Sonos "finds" it?

Just needs to be available on your network.

Finally, in this long kitchen would I be best positioning 2 left channels at one end and 2 right at the other end OR should I have a left and right channel over the breakfast table and another left and right channel at the island end of the kitchen?

I'd have a L&R at each end.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 2
Thanks for all the info.

Is there a list of recommended wired switches that are compatible with Sonos and my ATT 2Wire Gateway DSL modem and router? I have read in the forum that one needs to ensure it is STP 802.1D spanning tree protocol compatible but not sure if this is authoritative.
bburkhead wrote:

I have read in the forum that one needs to ensure it is STP 802.1D spanning tree protocol compatible but not sure if this is authoritative.

There's an excellent summary from Sonos Support at http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=16973

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings