Deleting the currently playing song from the playlist

• 29 January 2015
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 2
I am looking for a way to delete the currently playing song from the playlist (or from "my library").

My way of managing my music in itunes and other players has always been to add songs to playlists freely and in bulk (e.g., a full album at a time) and then to delete songs I don't like from the playlist, while they are on. To do that, I need to be able to quickly delete the song that is currently playing from the list. This does not seem to work with Sonos.

The only option I found is to open the playlist, chose "edit playlist", find the song amonst hundreds of other songs in the playlist manually, and then delete the track. This takes too much time to be practicable. It doesn't work for me.

I am actually looking for the option "delete" in a context menu at the currently playing song. I assume they have difficulties in providing such simple functionality, because Sonos seems to play a copy of the playlist (i.e., the "Queue"), not the playlist itself.

Has anyone figured out how to delete the currently playing song from the currently playing playlist?

---

ps: I found a functionality "Delete Track from My Library" for the currently playing song. When I chose that option, Sonos tells me "Track deleted from Deezer". But the song is still in Deezer.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Welcome to the forums, kst2604@gmail.com!

Has anyone figured out how to delete the currently playing song from the currently playing playlist?

A currently playing song from the currently playing playlist resides in the queue. So what you do is:
  • Sonos Desktop Controller: go to the queue, right-click on the track you want to delete and delete it.
  • iOS app: go to the queue, choose edit and delete the track you want to delete.
Userlevel 2
Welcome to the forums, kst2604@gmail.com!

A currently playing song from the currently playing playlist resides in the queue. So what you do is:
  • Sonos Desktop Controller: go to the queue, right-click on the track you want to delete and delete it.
  • iOS app: go to the queue, choose edit and delete the track you want to delete.

This would seem to delete the song from the queue only, but the song would remain in the playlist, correct? Next time I play the playlist, the song would be in the queue again.
[email]kst2604@gmail.com[/email],

SONOS is different from iTunes because it plays from the Queue, not a Playlist. The idea is that you start with an empty Queue and add tracks. Tracks are not played until they have been placed in the Queue. You can add tracks by pulling in a whole playlist and/or individual tracks. The Queue can be edited. If you like the current Queue, you can save it as a SONOS Playlist, replacing an existing playlist if you like. Tracks remain in the Queue until manually deleted.

You'll also notice that if you select a single track from the SONOS library, only that track will be added to the Queue. If you select a track in iTunes, this track and all following tracks on that album will immediately play. On SONOS, once you drill down to the track level, you can add the whole album to the Queue. This is not exactly what iTunes users expect, but after a while most former iTunes users learn to prefer the SONOS scheme (after some initial grumbles).
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
This would seem to delete the song from the queue only, but the song would remain in the playlist, correct?

Yes, indeed.

Next time I play the playlist, the song would be in the queue again.

Yes, indeed.

Editing the queue and editing a playlist are 2 different things.
Userlevel 2

The Queue can be edited. If you like the current Queue, you can save it as a SONOS Playlist, replacing an existing playlist if you like.

Hmmm... This might work fine if there is only one Sonos user in the house. Then you can "optimize" the queue and eventually overwrite the respective playlist every now and then. At my home, when I come back from work, I will inevitably find my daughter's favourite songs in "my" queue, or find the queue replaced with her songs. This means, I have to remember to save any edited queues to the respective playlist whenever I leave the room/home, or - even safer - after each edit in the queue. Deleting a song from the queue and overwriting the playlist takes 9 clicks including confirmations (just counted it). I wish it was only one or two ...

I hope you are right and I learn to appreciate the advantages of the Sonos system with time ... 😉
Userlevel 1
Hmmm... This might work fine if there is only one Sonos user in the house. Then you can "optimize" the queue and eventually overwrite the respective playlist every now and then. At my home, when I come back from work, I will inevitably find my daughter's favourite songs in "my" queue, or find the queue replaced with her songs. This means, I have to remember to save any edited queues to the respective playlist whenever I leave the room/home, or - even safer - after each edit in the queue. Deleting a song from the queue and overwriting the playlist takes 9 clicks including confirmations (just counted it). I wish it was only one or two ...

There are a number of obvious answers here, one of which is get your daughter her own player so she's not using yours (the queue on one player doesn't affect the queue on any others).

Another answer is stop adding songs to your queues/playlists that you don't actually want to listen to, I'm not sure I understand why you'd do that.
Userlevel 2
There are a number of obvious answers here, one of which is get your daughter her own player so she's not using yours (the queue on one player doesn't affect the queue on any others).

Thanks LHC.

My daughter actually has a player in her room, but she sometimes uses the ones in the kitchen and in the living room. While I could forbid her to use the living room and kitchen players, I doubt that I could to the same with my wife ;-)

Another answer is stop adding songs to your queues/playlists that you don't actually want to listen to, I'm not sure I understand why you'd do that.

I guess this is the way to go. I may have to change the way I manage my music library ...

For your better understanding: I always found it convenient to add e.g. a complete album from an interesting artist and then remove the songs that I did not like, rather than to have to listen to the complete album, decide right away which songs I like, and then add them to my favourites/playlists. This "positive selection" requires too much attention, in my opinion. By continuously removing the songs I like least, I feel that I continuously improve the quality of my music collection, i.e., while listening to my music.

But from the comments I get here, it seems that others do fine with the "positive selection" strategy. I will try to get used to it, too.

K.
Userlevel 1
For your better understanding: I always found it convenient to add e.g. a complete album from an interesting artist and then remove the songs that I did not like, rather than to have to listen to the complete album, decide right away which songs I like, and then add them to my favourites/playlists.

Ok, I can get that for new albums, if you're listening for the first time or something (I don't buy a great deal of new music though to be honest and once I've listened through it once or twice it all tends to go in the great big melting pot of "shuffle all").

But from the comments I get here, it seems that others do fine with the "positive selection" strategy. I will try to get used to it, too.

K.

To be honest I never use playlists at all, apart from on Christmas Day, when I set a christmas music playlist running on all the speakers, other than that I don't really see the point of them. I've no doubt that's largely in part because Sonos was the first music player, hardware or software that I ever used, so I've got no history of using playlists. Mind you even 20 years ago I was still just loading up the ten disc CD changer in the car and hitting "shuffle all", so that behaviour is well-ingrained in my case! I'm not really an album person, presumably because I was never into Prog rock! 😃
Badge
. . .This "positive selection" requires too much attention, in my opinion. By continuously removing the songs I like least, I feel that I continuously improve the quality of my music collection, i.e., while listening to my music.

K.

You can still use your negative selection as you can remove songs from a Playlist even from the Sonos app (at least you can with Spotify, so I assume it is no trouble with Deezer). While you are listening to your "all in, complete album" playlist in the queue, open up that playlist and just delete songs from it as you here ones you don't like. They will still be in that queue, but only until you delete or replace that queue (which for me is all the time). The next time you queue up that playlist, those songs will be gone.
This last post regarding deleting the song and then clearing the queue worked for me. Thank you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos playlists are the way to go if you want to be able to update within Sonos

you can import an iTunes playlist then save as a sonos playlist and edit as you want.
I tend organize my music like the original poster. Then I play the playlist which plays in the queue and I delete songs I don’t like when I’m actively listening, assuming it would update the playlist accordingly but it does not. Might as will just grab my phone and fast forward to the next tune. Probably some valid reasons for that. So now I have to listen to the playlist through the Q mentally chart which songs I don’t like and then go back to the playlist and they can be deleted from there by swiping to the left. Less convenient but works. Tougher with long playlists. I also think you could edit the Q in the same manner as I was doing earlier listen all the way through the Q deleting songs you don’t like and then save it as a new playlist that would probably work but seems awkward.