Deleting a ROOM

• 29 July 2012
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 2
I accidentally added a room I do not need so it always shows up as an option. I cant find how to delete it. Any help out there?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Some of you clearly don’t understand what’s happening here. I have the same problem. I removed a speaker from my conservatory and put it in another room I’ve called “Music Room” so there’s no speaker at all in the conservatory. But “Conservatory” shows up on my system because I can’t delete it. It’s not about renaming the room, as there’s no speaker in there. I put up with this, because the system is otherwise good but surely Sonos can facilitate the deletion or removal of an unused room?

To clarify, in the Sonos app, on the Rooms tab, you have both a 'Conservatory' and 'Music Room' listed? If that's the case, what happens if you attempt to play music on the logical room called 'Conservatory' in the Sonos app? What happens when you play music in the Music Room?

Physically speaking (not in the Sonos app), you said there is no speakers in the Conservatory. How many speakers are physically in the Music Room?
Badge +7

1. 'Room' is it appears n Sonos is just a label for a speaker or a collection of speakers acting as a unit, such as a stereo pair.
2. This label doesn't have any automatic connection with a physical room. I could, if I wished, call my speakers Peter, Paul and Mary. I could call them all 'Kitchen' but they would not all be in the kitchen, nor would they be in any way associated with each other.
3. The Sonos app is just a controller. It shows you a picture of the speakers in your system, listed with the labels you have given them. If you have 10 controllers they will all show you the same picture. There is no real sense in which the app contains any rooms to delete.

These points are quite clarifying and I suspect they should help a great number of people understand.
Some of you clearly don’t understand what’s happening here. Oh I think perhaps we do. Please try to understand the following fundamentals of the Sonos system:
1. 'Room' is it appears n Sonos is just a label for a speaker or a collection of speakers acting as a unit, such as a stereo pair.
2. This label doesn't have any automatic connection with a physical room. I could, if I wished, call my speakers Peter, Paul and Mary. I could call them all 'Kitchen' but they would not all be in the kitchen, nor would they be in any way associated with each other.
3. The Sonos app is just a controller. It shows you a picture of the speakers in your system, listed with the labels you have given them. If you have 10 controllers they will all show you the same picture. There is no real sense in which the app contains any rooms to delete.
4. The consequence is that anyone who comes on here and complains that Sonos is flawed because it is impossible to delete a room is, i am afraid, making themselves look rather silly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It’s not about renaming the room, as there’s no speaker in there. Yes it is. A Sonos 'room' is how it labels a speaker (or a bonded stereo pair, home theatre setup, etc.).
(Oh, it's an even simpler problem than I'd inferred from the post.)
It’s not about renaming the room, as there’s no speaker in there. Yes it is. A Sonos 'room' is how it labels a speaker (or a bonded stereo pair, home theatre setup, etc.).

Go into Settings > Room Settings. Select "Conservatory". Tap on the room name at the top and select/type the new room name you want to use for that speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Some of you clearly don’t understand what’s happening here. I have the same problem. I removed a speaker from my conservatory and put it in another room I’ve called “Music Room” so there’s no speaker at all in the conservatory. But “Conservatory” shows up on my system because I can’t delete it. It’s not about renaming the room, as there’s no speaker in there. I put up with this, because the system is otherwise good but surely Sonos can facilitate the deletion or removal of an unused room?
This is odd, because when I do this kind of thing in either one of my Sonos installations, the room just disappears from the controllers without intervention. Occasionally I need to restart a controller if I'm impatient, but that's the most it takes.
Badge
This is ridiculous. I have the same issue (I accidentally named a room living room a year ago). We have never had a living room and there were never speakers assigned to it, but there is literally no way to delete this room.

Sonos sounds fantastic. But the user experience of this product is one of the worst out there. If Apple or Amazon can rival the sound (and they are getting close) I will jump ship immediately.
It would be a shame if you did that on the grounds of not being able to ,'delete a room'. This is, as many of us have tried to explain, a completely meaningless concept. If you don't like the name 'Living Room', change it. If you don't want the speaker with that label, sell it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi rholladay, as the others mentioned, you can change the name of a room anytime in the Sonos app, just go to Settings > Room Settings and select the name that needs to be changed.

However, there's no way to "delete" a room, because every single room showing in your Sonos app represents at least one Sonos player. There's no way for a room to exist without a player associated, and if you unplug a player from power, the corresponding room will disappear. You can go into Settings > About Sonos to find out what the serial number and product you have named Living Room is, which may help locate it in your house.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
but there is literally no way to delete this room.

Go to Room Settings and rename the room to what you want?

That or if you really want to "delete" the room. Unplug it from power?
Badge +7

At least, that's how I believe it is. Regardless, I mostly just wanted to do the classroom analogy for my own entertainment.

And ours.
Badge
This is ridiculous. I have the same issue (I accidentally named a room living room a year ago). We have never had a living room and there were never speakers assigned to it, but there is literally no way to delete this room.

Sonos sounds fantastic. But the user experience of this product is one of the worst out there. If Apple or Amazon can rival the sound (and they are getting close) I will jump ship immediately.
Honestly this shows how lacking Sono’s interface is. Deleting a room is so ridiculously complicated — trying to set up a record player currently and my connect Amp is in a room that no longer exists. When j try to re-add the speaker it defaults to this phantom room.

Why is this so complicated? Sonos you need to step up your game.

Wire the Connect:AMP temporarily to the router, then try to set it up again. If that doesn't work, reset the AMP to factory settings.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en
Badge
Honestly this shows how lacking Sono’s interface is. Deleting a room is so ridiculously complicated — trying to set up a record player currently and my connect Amp is in a room that no longer exists. When j try to re-add the speaker it defaults to this phantom room.

Why is this so complicated? Sonos you need to step up your game.
Setting aside whether the management interface is strong or weak, two questions: 1) how do you determine which device is announcing in an unwanted room and 2) how do you remove it from that room so that you may then effectively "delete" the room? Thanks muchI am sorry but I cannot fathom what either of those questions means. Devices have the labels you gave them. When the device is removed, the 'room' no longer exists in the system. If you have got confused about the labels, play music and see which speaker it comes out of.
Setting aside whether the management interface is strong or weak, two questions: 1) how do you determine which device is announcing in an unwanted room and 2) how do you remove it from that room so that you may then effectively "delete" the room? Thanks much
To use an analogy the Sonos system is not like a classroom, where each speaker/zone is a student and the controller(s) is a teacher. The teacher/controller doesn't have an attendance list where it takes roll call of all the students/speakers signed up for the class/system.

Bueller....Bueller...Bueller.

No, it's more like the controller says 'alright, who's here?' and the speakers speak up and announce themselves. When everything is working properly, a speaker that isn't there cannot announce itself, and therefore can't be in the rooms list. The controller doesn't have some preset list to work off of.

At least, that's how I believe it is. Regardless, I mostly just wanted to do the classroom analogy for my own entertainment.
It doesn't need any code. The controller just tells you what is there. I have known users not to realise that the Connect will show as a room so I wondered if that might be the case here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You're missing the point entirely.

If you are seeing this orphaned room as the person who posted a screenshot then there is an error in the operation of YOUR system and one way it manifests is what you are seeing. You are likely also having other issues as well or will do sooner or later.
Thanks for the detailed reply and I will give it a go but it just seems overkill for something so trivial. Surely it’s just a matter of building logic into the controller to delete an orphaned or unwanted endpoint where no device currently exists.
With tens of thousands of hits on this very subject I think it’s pertinent but thanks again for your effort. It is appreciated.
According to your profile you have two components, a Connect and a Play:5. Is that correct? How many rooms are showing in your controller?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I suggest you you do a re-boot of your system to flush out any network/IP issues which may be confounding your Sonos system.

witch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connected to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices

If this doesn't work I suggest you pone into Sonos
In relation to 1) this is the exact issue I am referring to.
I registered a device to a room and subsequently sold thus removed the device 3 months ago. The room allocated to the device is still showing despite no device tagged to that room.
I have another device tagged to another room and this is fine. The rooms are not grouped so there should be no reason why the controller registers the room with no device. There is only the one connection to the Sonos Connect yet the controller still displays 2 rooms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Honestly why is there no simple option to simply remove a logical reference to a room that either does not exist or no longer wanted?
Judging by the number of hits on this forum topic and other related topics there is a BIG demand for this functionality.
Some cock and bull story about how the controller simplifies the start up process should a room not exist is just masking the underlying issue.
Users are simply requesting an option to delete a room reference. How hard can this be??

Well it would be very hard if not impossible as the request literally makes no sense.

1) If you remove a Sonos device from a room and take it away then it won't appear in your controller
2) If you move a Sonos device or stereo pair to another room and switch on then Sonos will see it as the old room name but then you can change the name to whatever you want.

The way Sonos works the idea of "deleting" a room does not make any sense
Honestly why is there no simple option to simply remove a logical reference to a room that either does not exist or no longer wanted?
Judging by the number of hits on this forum topic and other related topics there is a BIG demand for this functionality.
Some cock and bull story about how the controller simplifies the start up process should a room not exist is just masking the underlying issue.
Users are simply requesting an option to delete a room reference. How hard can this be??