Deleting a ROOM

• 29 July 2012
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 2
I accidentally added a room I do not need so it always shows up as an option. I cant find how to delete it. Any help out there?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

I accidentally added a room I do not need so it always shows up as an option. I cant find how to delete it. Any help out there?

Factory reset the player. Remove power, hold in the Mute button, then reapply power. Keep holding in the Mute button until the LED starts to flash.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Uhm, why not just unpower it?
Userlevel 2
There is no component attached. Just a room name.
If you power it off where does it still show up? In the rooms menu? It may well do so for a short while. To hasten things along, simply restart the controller.
bpk426,

In my experience, this will self correct after a while. Powering down all of the units will help the system forget about the departed unit. If the departed unit was a PLAY:3 or PLAY:5 that was paired to a surviving unit the situation is trickier because the widowed unit will wait for its mate to come online.

How long is a "while"? This depends on the situation, and while it can sometimes be annoying, it is hard to classify this behavior as a "bug".

SONOS units try very hard to ride out communication difficulties, power failures, and tolerate moving units from one location to another (moving usually implies temporarily powering down one or more units and reconfiguring the network). We can argue about how long units should wait before declaring that a brother or sister is "gone". In the case of a stereo paired unit, waiting a day or two while the while a brother or sister is down for room renovation would be reasonable. Otherwise, the pairing would need to be re-established every time a unit was powered down for cleaning or similar. Sleeping handheld controllers present special issues.

On waking, the handheld controllers will display the last known configuration while they survey the current situation. This is why controllers, particularly the SONOS brand hanheld controllers, appear to wake so fast. One can even issue commands to a particular room before the survey is complete. If the network has been reconfigured and SONOS units have been added and deleted, the controller may be confused and issue some terse messages while it sorts things out.
Why the hell should this be so complicated ?
very sorry I got Sonos system. Spend my time figuring out why it doesn't work.
Why the hell should this be so complicated ?
It isn't. You posted onto a 4 year old thread. Why?
Badge
I have same issue. Recently changed router and Play5 works fine but the Line-In to my Connect is now greyed out and does not link my vinyl record deck. I think it has something to do with the room settings but can't remove or amend these
This has nothing to do with deleting a room. If you are saying that the whole of the Room Settings menu is unavailable then the most likely explanation is that your controllers and/or your speakers need to be updated to latest software version.
Badge +2
Yes, I know that this is an old thread, but I do have the same problem.

I have a Room that appears under the Home ‘Icon’ on the latest iPhone iOS 11 app

All as of today, 9th October 2017,
Version: 8.0 (build 371245270)
Latest software.
Controllers all removed and re-installed.
All devices turned off and back on

But one Room, keeps appearing, with no devices in it.

How to delete that room ?
I would submit a diagnostic for the folks at Sonos to look at, as I can’t even fathom how a room exists without a speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I would submit a diagnostic for the folks at Sonos to look at, as I can’t even fathom how a room exists without a speaker.
Short version, it can't.

If a Sonos player is showing up in your app, (after reboots), it's on the network somewhere.
Was trying to be polite, sir 🙂
It may be a 4 year old thread, but it's still a problem. My playbar managed to disconnect itself from the system, and when I added it back in, the system created a new "Living room". There should be an option in the app to simply delete an entire room in situations like this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It may be a 4 year old thread, but it's still a problem. My playbar managed to disconnect itself from the system, and when I added it back in, the system created a new "Living room". There should be an option in the app to simply delete an entire room in situations like this.

Show us a screenshot of your controller showing this. And also submit a diagnostic so Sonos can help you
Like this?

One room shows no speakers. The other only shows the TV. We also have two Play Ones. One of the speakers cannot be found when trying to reattach it. It worked fine Sunday. Did not work at all Monday. This purchase has been a disaster from day one. Sonos today has a wait time of over 30 minutes. Apparently I'm not the only one having problems.
So seriously, I created a couple of rooms I now want to delete. How do I do it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So seriously, I created a couple of rooms I now want to delete. How do I do it?
Hi Tmccc, it's impossible to have a room showing in the app that doesn't directly relate to one of your Sonos devices. If you had a stereo pair of two players, it's possible they got separated out into two rooms. But if you have 3 rooms listed, there are at least three Sonos players.

You may need to recreate a stereo pair or home theater setup under More > Settings > Room Settings.

If you need a hand, feel free to give us a call on our support line.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I use a Z80 as a link between our kitchen and sitting room - its in the dining room but has no speakers (our choice) but somehow it got named 'Dining Room' and appears on the Controller & Apps - how do I remove this name without interfering with the network?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Go into the App and navigate to Room Settings. Navigate to the Z80 room (Dining Room) and change the name to one that fits in with your scheme
Honestly why is there no simple option to simply remove a logical reference to a room that either does not exist or no longer wanted?
Judging by the number of hits on this forum topic and other related topics there is a BIG demand for this functionality.
Some cock and bull story about how the controller simplifies the start up process should a room not exist is just masking the underlying issue.
Users are simply requesting an option to delete a room reference. How hard can this be??
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Honestly why is there no simple option to simply remove a logical reference to a room that either does not exist or no longer wanted?
Judging by the number of hits on this forum topic and other related topics there is a BIG demand for this functionality.
Some cock and bull story about how the controller simplifies the start up process should a room not exist is just masking the underlying issue.
Users are simply requesting an option to delete a room reference. How hard can this be??

Well it would be very hard if not impossible as the request literally makes no sense.

1) If you remove a Sonos device from a room and take it away then it won't appear in your controller
2) If you move a Sonos device or stereo pair to another room and switch on then Sonos will see it as the old room name but then you can change the name to whatever you want.

The way Sonos works the idea of "deleting" a room does not make any sense
In relation to 1) this is the exact issue I am referring to.
I registered a device to a room and subsequently sold thus removed the device 3 months ago. The room allocated to the device is still showing despite no device tagged to that room.
I have another device tagged to another room and this is fine. The rooms are not grouped so there should be no reason why the controller registers the room with no device. There is only the one connection to the Sonos Connect yet the controller still displays 2 rooms.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I suggest you you do a re-boot of your system to flush out any network/IP issues which may be confounding your Sonos system.

witch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connected to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices

If this doesn't work I suggest you pone into Sonos