Answered

Converting DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1

• 13 October 2018
  • 1 reply

I just purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-Ray player and much to my surprise it does not transcode DTS 5.1-Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly like my Xbox One X and Apple TV4K do. My question is what device is confirmed to convert DTS 5.1-Dolby 5.1 on the fly. I have searched the community forums but have not found a viable item confirmed to work, many suggested items but no confirmation that I found. On another note I also attempted running the HDMI dedicated audio out on the player to HDMI input of my Xbox One X and this transcoded it perfectly BUT as soon as I switch inputs away from the Xbox it stops playing the audio, which is a shame because this would work perfectly.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 19 October 2018, 19:26

I just purchased a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-Ray player and much to my surprise it does not transcode DTS 5.1-Dolby Digital 5.1 on the fly like my Xbox One X and Apple TV4K do. My question is what device is confirmed to convert DTS 5.1-Dolby 5.1 on the fly. I have searched the community forums but have not found a viable item confirmed to work, many suggested items but no confirmation that I found. On another note I also attempted running the HDMI dedicated audio out on the player to HDMI input of my Xbox One X and this transcoded it perfectly BUT as soon as I switch inputs away from the Xbox it stops playing the audio, which is a shame because this would work perfectly.

Hi Orcus Varuna,

While many TVs will transcode on the fly, your best bet may be to use an HDMI switch. In this setup, you would feed into the switch all of your AV devices, then send the video out to your TV, and the audio out to your Sonos home theater. You can find some hardware recommendations in our home theater megathread.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Orcus Varuna,

While many TVs will transcode on the fly, your best bet may be to use an HDMI switch. In this setup, you would feed into the switch all of your AV devices, then send the video out to your TV, and the audio out to your Sonos home theater. You can find some hardware recommendations in our home theater megathread.