Answered

control one Sonos 3 with multiple PCs? and more newbie questions

• 20 June 2018
  • 2 replies

Is it possible to install the Sonos app on multiple computers so a single Sonos 3 unit can be controlled by either computer? When I tried, it seemed to mess up the functioning of the app on the first computer?

Also, after installing a large number of music albums that I have on my PC to the Sonos, it seems to play some fine but crashes and shuts down when I ask it to play others. Advice?

Also also, if I make changes to the music stored on my computer, how can I update the directory of songs that Sonos brings up?

Also also also, I've got high speed cable and a fast modem router setup, but sometimes Sonos says it's not streaming or buffering fast enough. Is that reasonable? Is the Sonos limited to low-res MP3 type music or should it be able to handle wav tunes too?

Thanks!

Steve
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 June 2018, 21:56

Yes. I have the controller app on 3 iOS devices, and 3 Macs simultaneously. Works fine.

I'm guessing that perhaps your PC is going to sleep, so when the Sonos is trying to access your music library, the PC isn't responding. I've got an NAS setup, so that my library is available at all times.

I'm not at home, but there's an "update my library" function in the controller app, likely in the library section of the preferences (sorry for being un-specific here, can't open the app without having a Sonos to connect to).

The streaming/buffering issue that the Sonos is talking about isn't from your cable/modem setup and the speed to the outside, it's really taking about the speed/bandwidth between the speaker and the router. I'd take a look at the wifi interference FAQ, and potentially think about wiring your speakers directly to the router to see if that issue goes away. There's other less frequent issues that also might cause that, a diagnostic within 15 minutes of the occurrence would capture that, posting the number here or calling in to Sonos would probably help them pinpoint an issue for you.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Yes. I have the controller app on 3 iOS devices, and 3 Macs simultaneously. Works fine.

I'm guessing that perhaps your PC is going to sleep, so when the Sonos is trying to access your music library, the PC isn't responding. I've got an NAS setup, so that my library is available at all times.

I'm not at home, but there's an "update my library" function in the controller app, likely in the library section of the preferences (sorry for being un-specific here, can't open the app without having a Sonos to connect to).

The streaming/buffering issue that the Sonos is talking about isn't from your cable/modem setup and the speed to the outside, it's really taking about the speed/bandwidth between the speaker and the router. I'd take a look at the wifi interference FAQ, and potentially think about wiring your speakers directly to the router to see if that issue goes away. There's other less frequent issues that also might cause that, a diagnostic within 15 minutes of the occurrence would capture that, posting the number here or calling in to Sonos would probably help them pinpoint an issue for you.
Thanks, Bruce. I'm out of town for a few days so will get back to this project soon.