Answered

Connecting TV to Sonos: Arc soundbar and sub & Sonos Amp with passive In-Ceiling speakers

Trying to create a surround sound setup with the follow connected to my TV:

Before I buy these I’m just trying to understand how these connect together to play surround sound from my TV.

Can someone please explain what output leads need to come from my TV, what inputs need to go to the AMP/Sounbar/Sub, and how these would work together to produce surround sound?

Audio rookie here - small words appreciated :)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 April 2021, 05:32

The Arc connects to the TV with an HDMI cable connected to an ARC port on the TV. Looks and acts like a normal HDMI input, but because of that ARC label, it uses electronics inside the TV to reflect any audio out to the Arc.

The Amp is ‘bonded’ to the Arc wirelessly, via a WiFi signal, and drives the surround signal to them. 

Similarly, the Sub is wirelessly ‘bonded’ to the Arc. 

So, the only wired connection other than power, is an HDMI cable between the TV’s ARC or eARC port (again, this looks like an input, you need to double check which one is that one) and the Arc.

Yes, I can not explain the Sonos use of the name Arc, that is connected via ARC. I feel someone in their marketing department has a sick sense of humor.

View original

2 replies

The Arc connects to the TV with an HDMI cable connected to an ARC port on the TV. Looks and acts like a normal HDMI input, but because of that ARC label, it uses electronics inside the TV to reflect any audio out to the Arc.

The Amp is ‘bonded’ to the Arc wirelessly, via a WiFi signal, and drives the surround signal to them. 

Similarly, the Sub is wirelessly ‘bonded’ to the Arc. 

So, the only wired connection other than power, is an HDMI cable between the TV’s ARC or eARC port (again, this looks like an input, you need to double check which one is that one) and the Arc.

Yes, I can not explain the Sonos use of the name Arc, that is connected via ARC. I feel someone in their marketing department has a sick sense of humor.

Thanks so much for the detailedexplanation!