Connecting to Ubiquiti UniFI UAP

• 25 January 2019
  • 3 replies

I currently have 2 x PLAY1s and 1 x SONOS One. The Sonos One is in the kitchen (rear of the house), one of the Play 1s is in the master bedroom (directly above the kitchen) and the other Play 1 is in the study. The router is in the garage at the front of the house (directly beneath the study). All speakers are connected via wifi. My problem is the wifi signal to the Sonos One in the kitchen is intermittent as it's furthest away from the router. Unfortunately the Sonos One is not near an ethernet socket for me to plug into. Both Play 1s are fine on wifi. I plugged the Play1 in the master bedroom into an ethernet socket located in the master bedroom (connected to the router via a TP link switch) hoping it would create a mesh for the Sonos One to latch onto given that it's directly above the Sonos One. Unfortunately it hasn't improved the situation greatly and the connection to the Sonos One is still hit and miss. I then tried plugging the Play 1 into another ethernet socket in the dining room (next to the kitchen). The good news is the signal to the Sonos One in the kitchen has improved but now the controller doesn't list the Play 1 in the study for some reason! It's also worth saying the Sonos One is not next to a microwave which could be causing interference.

Having spoken to IT guy at work who used to have a Sonos system, he suggested I connect all my speakers to my UniFi UAP which is located in the centre of the house (underneath the stairs) and which delivers a relatively decent signal throughout the house. The UAP is directly connected to the router (ie not via the switch). The UAP has a separate SSID compared to the router. I've already read that connecting to an AP may not necessarily work but thought I'd give it a go to see if it works.

I've been trying to work out how to reset the speakers and to transfer the connection from the router to the UAP SSID. The instructions asks to temporarily connect one of the speakers to the "new router" via ethernet cable but the UAP doesn't have an ethernet port to connect to (other the one that's used to connect to the router). I've tried "adding another sonos system" but that hasn't worked either (probably because the speakers have already been set up before).

I could do a factory reset but I don't want to lose my music services. Another alternative is to use Devolo Powerline and connect the Sonos One to it. The kitchen electrical sockets are on a different circuit to the sockets in the garage but the Devolo website suggests this isn't a problem. Another option is buying a Boost but hoping I don't have to.

Questions:
1. How can I change my network from the router SSID to the AP SSID without having to plug the speaker to the AP?
2. If I did a factory reset, will I lose my music services?
3. Is it likely the Devolo Powerline will help connect the Sonos One in the kitchen?
4. Is there a better way of connecting these speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

1) Change the information in the Sonos controller to the new data before you switch routers. Or, set up the new router with the same SSID and password, either works.

2) Yes? No? You'll lose any settings you've entered in. So, any Sonos playlists would be lost, any connections with music services would be lost and have to be re-entered

3) No.

4) You'd be better off, most likely, to wire one of your units directly to the router, or get a BOOST in order to do so, so you're running the SonosNet network. That's still the best way to keep connections pretty stable.
Questions:
1. How can I change my network from the router SSID to the AP SSID without having to plug the speaker to the AP?
2. If I did a factory reset, will I lose my music services?
3. Is it likely the Devolo Powerline will help connect the Sonos One in the kitchen?
4. Is there a better way of connecting these speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ANSWERS

Q1/A. Plug any Sonos speaker into your router and it should switch all your speakers over to SonosNet mesh ... to check it has done this, goto the Sonos App 'Settings/About my Sonos System' and ensure that each device in your list has an entry which says WM: 0. If that is not showing next to any device then bring that device nearer to your router and refresh your Sonos App screen.

Once all devices are showing WM: 0 goto 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' in the Sonos App and change the WiFi credentials to your Access Point and give it a minute for those details to be passed to all your speakers.

I would then power off and uncable your speakers and when you next power them on they will connect to your AP WiFi.

Before doing any of this though, I would check that your UAP nodes are ALL running on the same WiFi channel and if you can set that channel as fixed so that they never change. Also ensure the channel is well away from your main routers 2.4ghz channel (at least 5 channels apart) and fix the router channel too or if it’s not required, then turn off the router 2,4ghz WiFi altogether. The less interference the better.

Q2/A. Yes you would lose all your Settings with a factory reset of all devices... it would be like starting over again with a brand new system. It is not recommended.

Q3/A. I think this may cause you connection issues, but if it is directly connected to the UAP, then try it and see. If it too broadcasts a WiFi signal and its not needed then switch it off, or maybe use just its 5ghz band instead (if it has one) and cable it to your speaker.

Q4/A. Personally speaking, I do not think you can beat running Sonos Speakers on their own 'exclusive' SonosNet system started by either cabling a Boost or Speaker device to the main router and ensuring the speakers are spread fairly evenly around the premises for the SonosNet signal to hop between them. Importantly though is if you do that then ensure the SonosNet channel in 'Advanced Settings' of the Sonos App is set well away (5 channels apart) from the other WiFi signals in your home and also ensure you remove any wireless credentials in 'Advanced Settings/Wireless setup' as they are normally not required when running on SonosNet .. this prevents your speakers hopping back and forth between SonosNet and your WiFi signals.

Finally it’s important to note that whatever network your speakers are attached to, your mobile Sonos controller must also be attached to that same network too... so make sure it does not switch between WiFi network signals as that may give the impression your speakers have lost their connection. So I would remove 'authorisation' for the mobile device to connect to your other non-Sonos networks.

I hope that provides you with the answers you were looking for to your 4 questions.?
Airgetlam (Bruce) beat me to it with his reply, but I think we mostly agree with each other ...and personally speaking, I would opt for Boost Mode (SonosNet Mesh) too !!