Connecting to internet through Sonosnet

Badge +2
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 62 replies
We have teenage daughters and so to control their internet time have an IKYDZ router that they take their internet access from so we can control the times they access the internet. We bought our daughter a play 1 for Christmas so she can access our Sonos system. Because she is not on the same wifi as the Sonos we connected her android phone via Sonos net. She now seems to be able to connect to the internet through the sonos net thus circumventing the IKYDZ router. Is it correct ? and how can we stop access to the internet whilst allowing her to use her sonos. It would have been easy had our CR100's still worked but I am at a bit of a loss as what to do

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm not an expert on IKYDZ or parental filters in general, but I don't think pushing her on to Sonosnet was the right way to go. Also, I'm not quite sure what your network looks like. You mention that she is not on the same wifi as the Sonos network? How many wifi networks do you have (not counting Sononet)?

I would think you'd setup IKYDZ to block access to certain apps while leaving the Sonos app alone, and let her on to the normal household wifi at all times.
Badge +2
The household wifi is the one that connects to the Sonos system. The IKYDZ router piggy backs off the main router. Without access to Sonosnet my daughter cannot connect to Sonos via IKYDZ as she is not using the household wifi and we were happy for her to have free access to Sonos not realising that Sonosnet would also give her access to general wifi
Badge +2
Sorry forgot to say thanks for taking the time to answer (I must have sounded very ungrateful!!)
By connecting the Android phone to SonosNet it's now on the wired network segment, as far as the router is concerned. It appears that it's therefore outwith the scope of the IKYDZ parental controls.
Badge +2
Thanks, that's what I feared. I am in a bit of a quandary then. It would have been ideal if my CR100's still worked. I may have to find a CR200 but how long are they going to be viable for?
Assuming your daughter is an enterprising soul, and like most of her age knows about technology, she'll simply reinstall the Sonos controller on her phone and reconnect it to SonosNet. Having a CRanything isn't going to help.

Your problem is that (a) the Play:1 is on the main subnet, and (b) it's in SonosNet mode. Does the Play:1 have to be integrated with the rest of your Sonos system? I don't know the details of the IKYDZ kit, but if it would accept a WiFi connection from the Play:1 you could potentially reset the player, and set it up as a separate system in WiFi ('wireless') mode on the IKYDZ router.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I would contact IKYDZ about the issue. Their website says the cover mobile access as well, so they must have ways to control access besides the router.

Also, you could just get an echo dot and have her control Sonos by voice only.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings