Answered

Connecting Sonos speakers to system in remote area with range extender...

• 27 August 2018
  • 5 replies

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
I am installing Sonos systems in 8 large Fire Stations... Most of them have areas that are too far away from the base station to connect (i.e. out of wireless range). It is our desire to have BOTH a strong wireless signal AND 2) a Sonos speaker connected to the whole Sonos system (i.e that you can control from ANYWHERE).

Running 2 ethernet cables in not an option. So far as I can tell, you can EITHER use a "Boost" to connect the speaker - but then no way to control the speaker without going back into the main building... OR, use a range extender capable to reaching the remote area but without the ability to connect the speaker to the system. It does appear that you can have a "separate" Sonos network with just the one speaker.

I have gone round and round on this and nobody can give me a definitive answer. Ideally, I would LOVE for someone to share the best way to create a mesh-type of system (so that your devices connectivity was ubiquitous without the need to switch back and forth) which allows for all Sonos speakers to be connected and see each other. Even if this configuration requires a Sonos Boost. I would be eternally grateful for the person who provide the solution.

BTW, the stations a [im]patiently waiting so I can purchase the equipment, set it up and so we can all go back to living our lives!!! :8
icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 August 2018, 22:11

You can actually purchase the same X6S in a range extender model.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Extender-EX8000/dp/B074F3M2W8

Then you set it up as an AP.

See this link for detailed instructions from Netgear:

https://kb.netgear.com/000045827/How-do-I-set-up-my-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-WiFi-Mesh-Range-Extender-in-access-point-AP-mode

Then you simply connect it to the Ethernet port on the Sonos. The Sonos will connect the AP to the router via Sonosnet, just as if you plugged it into the router itself.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Put Sonos in Boost mode. That will activate the Ethernet port on all Sonos devices.

Connect a WAP (wireless access point) to the Ethernet port on the Sonos unit in the area where WiFi doesn't reach. Make sure the WAP is on the same subnet as the router and using the same SSID/password. The WAP allows you to connect to standard WiFi, which then connects back to the router via Sonosnet.
Gosh that sounds simple.. Can you provide me with a link on how to do this with a Netgear NIGHTHAWK®️ X6S TRI-BAND WIFI ROUTER? Or maybe an article which provides a good explanation (even if generic)? I'd love to talk to someone in person about it... We are in Santa Barbara, CA... and thanks for your response!!!
You can actually purchase the same X6S in a range extender model.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Extender-EX8000/dp/B074F3M2W8

Then you set it up as an AP.

See this link for detailed instructions from Netgear:

https://kb.netgear.com/000045827/How-do-I-set-up-my-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-WiFi-Mesh-Range-Extender-in-access-point-AP-mode

Then you simply connect it to the Ethernet port on the Sonos. The Sonos will connect the AP to the router via Sonosnet, just as if you plugged it into the router itself.
Thanks jgatie, but these Netgear instructions show how to set up an access point... It goes on the demonstrate connecting to that range extender and indeed, it is a separate network. So far in my experience, this will knock the remote Sonos Speaker off the system so in essence, you will now have two networks and two Sonos systems. I am trying to figure out how to have one of each (i.e. one network and one Sonos system connected to that network). Any ideas?
Thanks jgatie, but these Netgear instructions show how to set up an access point... It goes on the demonstrate connecting to that range extender and indeed, it is a separate network. So far in my experience, this will knock the remote Sonos Speaker off the system so in essence, you will now have two networks and two Sonos systems. I am trying to figure out how to have one of each (i.e. one network and one Sonos system connected to that network). Any ideas?

Connecting the Access Point to the Ethernet connection on the Sonos device will put them on the same network. Regardless of the Sonosnet connection, they are all on the same DHCP subnet from the original router.