Answered

Connecting Sonos 3 to Router via Ethernet cable - Help :/

• 4 September 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi, I'd like to place my Play 3 into my garage workshop however wifi is not available, therefore I'd like to hardwire to my router via Ethernet - hopefully to sync with my 5 and soundbar/sub)...help guys on how to configure the Play 3 to work??
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 4 September 2018, 22:35

If he wires the Play 3 to the router isn't that going to try to move the whole Sonos system over to SonosNet? Might that not cause a bit of a mixed-mode problem if the other systems are all WiFi only?

I was thinking that if the house Sonos gear had one or more components wired (while the 3 was in range) and the WiFi credentials reset that would cleanly move all the Sonos devices over to SonosNet so when the 3 was moved to the garage and Ethernet connection there it should be happy.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Just plug it in to the router with the ethernet cable. It should show up on your controller, assuming that you'd previously set it up. If not, just do the normal "add a speaker" process in the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If he wires the Play 3 to the router isn't that going to try to move the whole Sonos system over to SonosNet? Might that not cause a bit of a mixed-mode problem if the other systems are all WiFi only?

I was thinking that if the house Sonos gear had one or more components wired (while the 3 was in range) and the WiFi credentials reset that would cleanly move all the Sonos devices over to SonosNet so when the 3 was moved to the garage and Ethernet connection there it should be happy.