Question

Connecting Playbar to tv/PS4 without optical output

• 25 June 2017
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I've purchased a Sonos playbar to connect to my television so I can have sound on it for my PS4. I have a digital optical audio cable, but my tv does not have a port for that. I should also specify that it isn't really a tv. It's an Acer screen to connect to a computer, or ps (I believe). It only has one hdmi port, which is fine because I only need to connect it to my PS4, so the visuals are fine. The problem is for the audio. I haven't connected any audio cables to the screen, because there is no optical cable for my sonos device, and I don't know how to solve it. These are the available ports in my screen:

DVI-D port
VGA port
There is also an earphone port, but I don't think that's important.
I would like to know if there is an easy way (easy meaning I don't have to buy another tv) to connect my playbar to the tv to hear the sound on my PS4.

I have another question.
So far, I've connected easily my sonos devices, but now that I want to make them play sound from my PS4 instead of music from my iPad, I would like to know if there is certain specific steps and methods I should do to ensure this all works out.

Sincerely,
SuperChimichanga

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It sounds like all you need to is connect the optical audio cable directly from the PS4 to the Playbar.
I'd agree. I'm pretty sure you need to modify the audio settings in the PS4 so that it outputs nothing other than Dolby Digital, too.
Alright, I thought I had already done that, but I'll try again.