Question

Connecting playbar to smart tv without optical Cable- using wifi or bluetooth?

• 22 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Hello; 

I just purchased  Sonos playbar.I am trying to connect it to my Sony Bravia Smart TV without using optical cable. I would like using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth instead. Is it possible? There is no option on th app that could let you pair a device via WiFi or Bluetooth.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, the only connection method between the PLAYBAR and any TV is the optical cable.

That is very unfortunate! The box that it came in had a WiFi symbol (see picture).

You would think that you can play tv through the network or Bluetooth. It’s s deceiving. Also the app sucks!

It will play music through Wi-Fi, hence the Wi-Fi insignia. If you read the information on it, it talks about the connection to the TV is via optical cable. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It isn’t much of a “smart TV” if it lacks optical output.

That is very unfortunate! The box that it came in had a WiFi symbol (see picture).

You would think that you can play tv through the network or Bluetooth. It’s s deceiving. Also the app sucks!

IIf you only had a clue what a non-smart comment that is.  It’s your TV that can’t output over WiFi.  How is the Sonos device supposed to receive a WiFi signal that the TV is incapable of sending?  Jeez.

A TV that cannot send audio using WiFi to a soundbar is known as… a TV.  I haven’t yet come across one that can do this (although that doesn’t prove there isn’t one).  I have equally not come across a soundbar that will play TV audio via WiFi.  If you find one, please let us know.