Answered

connecting music library on Synology NAS to Sonos

• 29 August 2021
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve got a new Synology NAS and trying to connect Sonos to the music folder on it. I’ve enabled SMBv1 and tried everything else that I’ve read in the Sonos community and Synology knowledge base. (I used a WD NAS for years with Sonos, BTW)

I’m using a Mac and the path to the music folder is:

//NASsynology/Volume 1/for sonos

(I’ve tried creating a separate folder just called “sonos” thinking maybe it doesn’t like the space in the name; also tried removing the “Volume 1” from the path and/or taking the space out and just calling it “volume1” which is how the name appears sometimes in Synology; also tried the IP address in place of the “NASsynology”...all with no luck)

I’m getting an access denied error (telling me to check the ID/password) when using the Synology user-ID/password, as well as when I just skip the ID/password step and just leave it blank.

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by Stuart_49 1 September 2021, 19:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

As suggested in the several threads about this, did you also enable NTML1?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thx, I did notice that in other threads, and the best I can tell, Synology doesn’t have a setting for enabling NTMLv1.

If I recall correctly, one of those other threads certainly suggested that it does, but since I don’t own a Synology device, I’ve not searched the online manual for the term NTML to see. YMMV, and it’s entirely possible it’s based on the particular version, although it would seem odd that they don’t all run on the same firmware, but I don’t design NAS devices for a living. 

I’m using Synology and haven’t had any trouble. It was one click to enable SMBv1 and I was off to the races. I will say that the drive is in my face for user/password entry and a little slower at startup than I like.

Userlevel 1
Badge

buzz, are you simply using the main Synology ID for Sonos that you setup when initializing your NAS? (versus Guest or Admin, for example) Also, on the path name, are you including Synology’s volume? (as in my case it’s “Volume 1”). Thx

In terms of the NTMLv1 that Airgetlam brought up, I did eventually find a doc that Synology removed the option in their latest released software version (v7, the version that’s on my NAS).

I’m using the admin id with the Volume name visible in my Windows Network.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Just to close with success on this, in case someone else has difficulty with the Synology NAS connection to Sonos as I surely did. There was in fact an additional setting that enables NTMLv1 on Synology (in addition to SMB setting). Thanks Airgetlam for that, I just couldn’t find it anywhere in Synology settings until I got on the phone with Sonos support and they were able to show me where the NTMLv1 enable is. Also, on the Mac at least, the path that worked for Sonos excluded the “Volume 1” qualifier, since that threw an error when I tried to include it.

Hi Stuart_49

I'm having an identical experience (WD to Synology, can’t access, etc).  You mention that setting up NTMLv1 did the trick, but you didn't say where to find that option.

I looked is DSM help but it doesn't mentioned NTML.

It does have SMB but advises against using SMB1 because of security issues.

Should I call Sonos like you did?

Cheers

Peter

With respect to the SMB1 security issue, you have no choice but to accept this risk because SONOS requires SMB1. Hopefully, SONOS will start accepting SMB2 or SMB3 in the future.

Also see this link…

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/smb1-security-issue-lack-of-response-from-sonos-6860761?postid=16551779#post16551779

I have a new Synology running DSM 7.0.1-42218g with no luck connecting my older SONOS system.  Set SMB v1 but have not seen any settings for NTMLv1.   Have PLEX installed and running but prefer to use the network share to my Sonos like I did with my previous Lacie NAS.

Now the error prompt advised access is denied.  I have that folder set up for a read write in the NAS File settings.  Any ideas? 

I have a new Synology running DSM 7.0.1-42218g with no luck connecting my older SONOS system.  Set SMB v1 but have not seen any settings for NTMLv1.   Have PLEX installed and running but prefer to use the network share to my Sonos like I did with my previous Lacie NAS.

Now the error prompt advised access is denied.  I have that folder set up for a read write in the NAS File settings.  Any ideas? 

From other posts here (entirely at your own risk):

Goto the SMB settings under File Services, then Advanced, and then other.  There is a setting called enable NTLMv1 authentication.  Once you do, you will get a nasty warning message about potential vulnerabilities with this aging standard.  Continue and enable the setting and it should then work.

Thank you Ken!  That did the trick.  That setting is buried in the Synology settings.  Probably for good reason.  Hope Sonos supports SMBv2 and v3 soon.

Thank you Ken!  That did the trick.  That setting is buried in the Synology settings.  Probably for good reason.  Hope Sonos supports SMBv2 and v3 soon.

Hopefully that will happen in the not too distant future. See this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000/smb1-security-issue-lack-of-response-from-sonos-6860761?postid=16551779#post16551779

So good to see the old crew still doing their thing here. I have a question related to this I’m hoping that maybe the OP can help me with. I ran into the SMB problem today and made the adjustment that got me mostly there. Now I’m having a problem with the shares. I’m not sure how to resolve it.

My current setup is a MyBookLiveDuo that I’m going to be retiring… On that drive I have a folder called Music, then under there all my shares by genre: rock, jazz, country, etc. How do I do this on the Synology? I was able to create a music share, but I can’t access it without errors through Sonos. If I go \\DS01\Music that works, but then I can’t segregate by genre (because of that pesky 65K track limitation). 

Thank you.

Good morning 

To enable NTLM Synology DSM v7 goto

File Services - Advanced Settings - Others (tab) - select ‘Enable NTLMv1 authentication’

This fixed my access deny issue.

Also make sure SMB1 is set as the ‘Minimum SMB Protocol’ on the ‘Advanced Settings’ page.

I’ve been months without my music library - that NTLM1 was the thing I needed all along.

Thanks to all the posts above!

I have tried enabling SMB1 and NTLMv1, all against my better judgement, and I cannot connect to my Synology NAS since I updated it to DSM 7.0.1-42218. Any ideas?

Great info; thanks.

I’ve changed both SMB1 (ignoring the red warnings) and NTLMv1 settings.

Synology DS920+ music folders can now be seen by my two Sonos Connect S1. I didn’t need /share/ in the path name .

DSM 7.0.1-42218 update 2. Running Mediastation; might restart audiostation. 

Now just need to get the album art on my Samsung TV.

Just as a reminder for others who come upon this thread. S1 still requires SMB v1. S2 now uses up to SMB v3.

Thank you for this, it has been bugging me for weeks trying to connect my new Synology NAS!!! Setting SMBv1 AND NTLMv1 did the trick.

It’s great to have a solution for the “Synology Problem”. But here’s the sad truth: It’s actually a “Sonos Problem”, and “Our Problem”! Why? The SMB v1 & NTLM v1 protocols are horribly weak, and increase our risks of being hacked. Synology’s DSM software gives you dire warnings, and advises against making the changes required to connect with Sonos. And the risk is not limited to “someone gets to listen to your music without permission”; the risk is that someone gets your credentials & exploits that to attack something important… keep anything important on your NAS? It’s now at greater risk!  Sonos has let us down in a huge way here because they will not upgrade the Sonos Controller!  We shouldn’t be at greater risk because I don’t want or need to replace 8 or 10 older Sonos speakers.

It’s great to have a solution for the “Synology Problem”. But here’s the sad truth: It’s actually a “Sonos Problem”, and “Our Problem”! Why? The SMB v1 & NTLM v1 protocols are horribly weak, and increase our risks of being hacked. Synology’s DSM software gives you dire warnings, and advises against making the changes required to connect with Sonos. And the risk is not limited to “someone gets to listen to your music without permission”; the risk is that someone gets your credentials & exploits that to attack something important… keep anything important on your NAS? It’s now at greater risk!  Sonos has let us down in a huge way here because they will not upgrade the Sonos Controller!  We shouldn’t be at greater risk because I don’t want or need to replace 8 or 10 older Sonos speakers.

My understanding has been that the Linux Kernel used on the older S1 devices does not support a higher version of SMB and it’s not viable to change the kernel on the old hardware.. hence the need for the split to S2 System, plus the older devices we’re running out of memory/storage space.

The S2 products are the only way to achieve having the higher (more secure) version of SMB - what you’re asking for is not viable for Sonos to do due to the hardware limitation, much in the same way an old monochrome TV will not display colour via its screen .. its perhaps time to upgrade your devices if you want/need this feature, otherwise I would rely on your local network security/software to keep your NAS share safe and you can always opt to use the Plex service instead.

My understanding has been that the Linux Kernel used on the older S1 devices does not support a higher version of SMB and it’s not viable to change the kernel on the old hardware.. hence the need for the split to S2 System, plus the older devices we’re running out of memory/storage space.

The S2 products are the only way to achieve having the higher (more secure) version of SMB - what you’re asking for is not viable for Sonos to do due to the hardware limitation, much in the same way an old monochrome TV will not display colour via its screen .. its perhaps time to upgrade your devices if you want/need this feature, otherwise I would rely on your local network security/software to keep your NAS share safe and you can always opt to use the Plex service instead.

Can you expand on using the Plex service instead? 

I have just lowered the security on a Synology NAS used for work projects, and I would prefer not to do that just to have the music folder be accessible to our Sonos Connect:amp — which is great hardware for our needs and in no need of replacement. 

I have just lowered the security on a Synology NAS used for work projects, and I would prefer not to do that just to have the music folder be accessible to our Sonos Connect:amp — which is great hardware for our needs and in no need of replacement. 

I’d just buy a cheap NAS that runs SMBv1 and has enough storage for your needs. Use that purely for Sonos, and you can up the security on your Synology NAS. If your music library is small enough, it might even fit on a USB stick to plug into your router.

No, it shouldn’t be necessary to do this, but it’s a lot cheaper than changing the Sonos kit.