Answered

Connecting Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2i2 Gen 3 to a pair of Sonos Play 5 or FIVE via line out / line in

• 11 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi, 

I was on the phone with Sonos support, and they couldn’t figure out my issue, an suggested I try reaching out here.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2i2 (Gen 3) that I use with a Shure SM7B mic for podcasting and audio recording. I wanted to see if I could just use the L & R line out from the Focusrite and connect it to a pair of Play 5s or a pair of Sonos FIVEs via an Aux cable and use that as my MacBook Pro’s audio output. This way I wouldn’t need to switch my audio out between when I’m recording and when I’m not. 

So here’s the setup that I have and want to set up :

MacBook Pro → USB → Focusrite → Line Out L & R (two cables) → Sonos Speakers (2 speakers)

Is this possible? Has anyone done this successfully? When I connect everything this way right now, I get no sound coming out of the Sonos speakers.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 January 2021, 20:05

Are the line outs from the Focusrite line level, or are they controlled by a volume knob? 

If they’re the former, I’d think that you’d need a simple RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter, and the cables would just hook up to just one (not both) of the speakers. The Sonos system would then be responsible for carrying any stereo information to the second speaker, if they’re paired. Or, if they’re grouped, then they would both play the same thing.

Note that there’s around a 70 to 75ms delay on any analog input to a Sonos device, so there will be a slight delay from what the Focusrite outputs to what you hear on the Sonos, it’s not like a computer speaker that plays the sound immediately. 

View original

1 reply

Are the line outs from the Focusrite line level, or are they controlled by a volume knob? 

If they’re the former, I’d think that you’d need a simple RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack adapter, and the cables would just hook up to just one (not both) of the speakers. The Sonos system would then be responsible for carrying any stereo information to the second speaker, if they’re paired. Or, if they’re grouped, then they would both play the same thing.

Note that there’s around a 70 to 75ms delay on any analog input to a Sonos device, so there will be a slight delay from what the Focusrite outputs to what you hear on the Sonos, it’s not like a computer speaker that plays the sound immediately.