CONNECT with digital in

Badge
Is an update to CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP coming that has digital in?

I already have a very good quality audio system and speakers in the room with my TV, and don't want or need new speakers. However, I would very much like to use CONNECT to feed my audio system, and other sonos speakers in the house, giving the same capability as PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE.

I realize that CONNECT isn't the biggest selling system in the lineup, but I think having a AV amplifier and wired speakers is very common (it is how high-end TV systems were built after all). CONNECT with digital-in puts an existing stereo system on par with PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE, and is a "no brainer" addition to any existing stereo system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Why aren't either of the two outputs of the Connect suitable for this?
Badge
The problem is that the CONNECT only has an analog in, not digital - not what modern equipment uses. I'd like the same digital in that is on the PLAYBAR so that I can use it in the same way as a PLAYBAR but with my existing stereo system and wired speakers.
I addressed this issue by wiring the Connect outputs to the inputs on my amp. There is a choice of outputs too - analog and digital.
Badge
The problem isn't the outputs on CONNECT. I'm using the digital out on CONNECT to connect to a digital input on my amp. That works great. The problem is that there is only an analog input to CONNECT. I think I need a digital input, like on the PLAYBAR so that we get the audio quality from the TV and no delay.

I'm still investigating to see if the analog input can be successfully used, or if a digital to analog converter from the TV would work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
The Connect has a bigger delay on the input than the playbar. I believe that this is due to the Sonos components having some time to buffer audio and ensure they are playing in sync. So it is pretty much impossible to listen to the TV in grouped zones and have the audio in sync with the picture.
If you aren't worried about the sync issue - you only want to stream the audio from the TV, then surely the analogue inputs on the Connect would be good enough? Surely your TV has an analogue output?
Badge
Thanks for the input about the delay to expect. I'll watch for it.

I have purchased a separate TOSLINK to RCA converter (DAC) to get the digital audio from the TV into analog form to send to the stereo but that bypasses the SONOS. As you suggest, I can instead connect the DAC to the analog input on the CONNECT, then the analog output to go to the stereo. That way by selecting the line-in on the Connect I can route everything from the TV through the CONNECT. At least the sound will work, but I'm not sure about the delay that will be encountered if I use multi-room SONOS speakers.

I suspect that the CONNECT is just using older internal components than the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE. It seems obvious (to me at least) that it should be able to work the same with the same minimum delay. I hope SONOS eventually upgrades CONNECT as I think it is a very useful configuration for lots of people.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
I think it is deliberate, but there are people on here who know more than me. My understanding is that the sound delay is purely to allow zones to be grouped reliably. The Playbar and I assume now the playbase have had this delay minimised to allow them to be used in the AV arena, but no other component can do the same.
I have an AV system with a Connect - If I want to stream back into the sonos system then I use an analogue output from the AV amp to feed back into the sonos system. Would that work in your case? I also have a PC attached to the AV amp, so I can stream from the TV, FM radio, other hifi components and the PC through sonos via the AV amp.
The delay on the Line-in of any Sonos device is for buffering. The buffer allows for uninterrupted streaming to multiple rooms. Note that some settings increase the size of the delay. For instance, the compressed setting has a longer delay, as does the Airplay setting in the line-in types, because Airplay reliability is suspect, so the buffer needed to be larger to prevent dropouts.
Badge
Interesting to know some details about the delay. However, doesn't the PLAYBAR have the same problem? It can be grouped with other speakers - used for rear speakers for example. Would grouping a couple of PLAY:1's with a PLAYBAR cause a delay as well? I haven't ever heard of that as a problem.
Surround sound is specially routed via the 5 GHz frequency because it has the low latency needed for syncing to video. The Connect predates 5 GHz tech, and even if it had 5 GHz, Sonos found in testing that while it is good for surround speakers in the same room, 5 GHz is not as reliable over distances or through walls and floors.
Badge
Interesting - but there shouldn't be any reason for an updated CONNECT that uses 5 GHz, like PLAYBAR, to work the same with the same limitations. Thanks for the info though...
Userlevel 2
I am u judge fan of Sonos but now there is Heos and they are doing a better job. The input subject is an ongoing request from customer of Sonos and the ignorance of Sonos will push customers to Heos.