Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

• 25 November 2018
  • 66 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
In my living room I currently have a stereo pair of Play5 for music. I'd like to add a Beam just for the TV. I'm also considering adding a sub. Is there any way to have the sub work with both the Play5s and the Beam depending on which is active? I'm assuming the answer is no, but I thought it would be worth asking.

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, amfnyc. If you have two separate zones (TV - Beam & Living Room - 2x Play:5) your assumption would be correct. There can only be one device that has control over the Sub. A few users in the past have requested "scenes" in Sonos that would act as configuration presets. If you'd like, I'd be happy to add your name to the list for this feature request.
Userlevel 1
One more vote for this functionality. I have an open plan house with in-ceiling speakers on one amp for kitchen and another amp plus in-ceiling speakers for the dining and connecting the two room at right angles is the tv room with a play bar, sub and two ones for surround. It would be great if the sub could join the dining for dinner or the TV when watching or the kitchen when cooking. So please add a vote for me. 😁👍
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

If you had a conventional, wired system where you had a 5.1 home theatre system with sub, and an additional pair of hifi speakers, the same situation would exist. The sub would be wired to one environment or the other - either the home theatre setup or the hifi One. To connect to the other speaker set you’d have to re-wire it.

Sonos speakers are wireless, and configurable, and can be grouped. But there are limitations. If you have a stereo pair, you can’t suddenly decide you want just the “left” speaker running in tandem with a speaker in a different room.

I would speculate this this is analogous to why you can’t suddenly decide to run the Sonos sub with different speakers to the ones you initially bond it to, without first breaking that bond.

Yes, it would be a nice to have feature but I don’t see it happening.

This doesn’t seem like a good argument. Isn’t the point of a “smart speaker” that it can do things a regular speaker can’t…

Badge
Add me to this list as well. I have a PlayBase for my TV, and two Play5’s (gen 2) for audio only (mostly turntable). Thinking of getting a sub to “share” between the two setups.

So it appears that I owe Sonos an apology. On Sonos controller version 12.0.6, If you select the room that the sub is currently assigned to in settings, and select ‘remove sub’ you can immediately assign the hub to a new speaker group (room) without re-pairing. This accomplishes, at least for me, what I need the system to do and quickly group the sub with the supporting speaker groups based on music or multimedia playback.

Me too. Have 2 ones as rear speakers and soundbar and sub as tv setup. Have also bought 2 ones as front speakers but cant add them :(

now in that same room i want to create a music setup with the obsolete ones and the sub that is also already used for tv set up but i &&@&&&&”@ i am not allowed to do so :(

is there alternative way to do this?

So it appears that I owe Sonos an apology. On Sonos controller version 12.0.6, If you select the room that the sub is currently assigned to in settings, and select ‘remove sub’ you can immediately assign the hub to a new speaker group (room) without re-pairing. This accomplishes, at least for me, what I need the system to do and quickly group the sub with the supporting speaker groups based on music or multimedia playback.

Can’t wait to try this later. Major change if it works as simply as this

Just wonder if we have to retune the room after every re-pairing?

I had a look at this (but didn't actually do it yet) and it says it will remove the tuning when you remove the sub from one room. The question is whether or not you can then just turn that back on when you add the sub back, or if it will require a new Trueplay tuning. Will experiment once as I want to re-tune the Arc /sub/rears set up anyway. 

The rooms/speakers don’t store previous ‘tunes’.  There is nothing to restore, when you add speakers back.  I doubt the speaker even knows that the recently added rear speakers or sub were previously part of the room.  It certainly doesn’t know that you’ve placed the speakers in the exact same position they were previously.

I would also like to be added to the list requesting this feature.

I’m planning on soon buying a pair of Fives for a space that shares a Beam/Sub combo.

It’s a relief that recent updates allow for easy enough re-grouping, but the ability to save groups/scenes sharing one Sub, allowing instant switching with stored Trueplay settings would be perfect. I’m not thrilled I’ll need to go through the Trueplay steps each time I switch the Sub’s speaker grouping. I won’t be moving any speaker’s location, so this step will feel a bit much.

Thankfully it seems the Fives do not need the Sub like the Beam does, so perhaps grouping the Fives to the Sub each time won’t be necessary. But still something I’d love to see in the future!

Another vote for this - Want the sub for both my set of speakers (music) and my playbar (Movies).

This should be developed soon.  Quite a detraction from what could be a great experience.

I too would love to have the functionality of setting up different scenes. I have a Beam, 2 play 5’s, 2 One’s and the sub. For surround sound TV watching I like the beam, ones for surround and the sub. However, for music listening I like the play 5’s in stereo and the sub. Seeing as I only have 1 sub I’d like to have a choice of it bonding to either setup. Seems like this would be technically feasible for Sonos to do. 

Please add me to this list.

Beam and two Ones as surrounds with a Sub, and music system in the room next to it, where the Sub is on the shared wall and there are two arches between the rooms, not even a door separating them. Would be so ideal to share the sub seamlessly. 

I cannot see me ‘physically’ moving the sub about my home (well not on a frequent basis, at least) so in my case I’ve attached the Sub to my Sonos HT and then I just group that room with the other Sonos Room (which is in the same physical room) whenever I’m playing music. I can live with that group setup and there is no need either, to keep TruePlay tuning the two rooms.

To get the requested setup being mentioned in this thread, it would need a feature that mutes all speakers in my HT setup (except for the sub itself ) I guess, but I’m quite happy to leave them all playing for now. There’s no point having the sub in one physical room and the speakers playing in a separate room, so grouping rooms will do for me.

On a slightly separate, yet maybe related topic, ...I would like to see a ‘balance-slider’ in the EQ of a HT room settings, as sometimes other people can take up the chosen ‘sweet spot’ when visiting our home and it would be ‘nice to have’ that option to adjust the audio left, or right, a little rather than having to retune (TruePlay) the HT room again. I think a balance slider could also provide more customisation to ‘perhaps’ assist when grouping rooms for their combined audio output, as mentioned above, where the grouped-room speakers include a HT setup and are all in the same physical room.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Thanks guys. Keith - sure, that sounds like it would be a good feature. I won't hold my breath, though ;-(

Ken - My Play5s are gen 2, but I don't plan to bond them as surrounds for the Beam since I don't want them in the back of the room. They are my primary stereo music listening speakers, so they need to be up front.

Essentially, I plan to use the stereo Play 5s (maybe plus sub) for music listening and the Beam (maybe plus sub) for TV/movies. Obviously the Play5s cannot be used for TV, and I imagine the Beam is not as good for music as the 2 Play5s?

I'm definitely open to suggestion for a better setup, but that's what I was thinking.
Hey there, amfnyc. If you have two separate zones (TV - Beam & Living Room - 2x Play:5) your assumption would be correct. There can only be one device that has control over the Sub. A few users in the past have requested "scenes" in Sonos that would act as configuration presets. If you'd like, I'd be happy to add your name to the list for this feature request.

Please add my name to the list as well: I wish to have a TV setup using a Beam and a Sub in the same room as a pure audio setup using 2 x Play 5 and the same Sub? Obviously not playing at the same time. Sounds (pun intended) quite reasonable, right?

I second the feature request. All concerns like which „room“ takes priority are easily solved in the user interface. Especially for today‘s open living concepts where a room is not one room, the current situation is limiting where it doesnt have to be.

While sharing the sub has priority, it should eventually extend to other components. I could leverage one of my Play:5 as additional rear center on the TV e.g. although its general use case is a Stereo Pair for Music for the overall bigger room.

I currently have two Sonos Ones and Sub that I use for music. I was thinking of getting a Beam or Playbase for TV but the fact you can’t switch the sub between them is now putting me off. Please add this feature Sonos!

Add my name for this functionality. I actually just bought another play 5 and sub thinking it would be possible to do this. But now that I see it’s not, I’m disappointed, and I have to decide which I’d rather group it with, the playbase or the play 5s...
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
If you had a conventional, wired system where you had a 5.1 home theatre system with sub, and an additional pair of hifi speakers, the same situation would exist. The sub would be wired to one environment or the other - either the home theatre setup or the hifi One. To connect to the other speaker set you’d have to re-wire it.

Sonos speakers are wireless, and configurable, and can be grouped. But there are limitations. If you have a stereo pair, you can’t suddenly decide you want just the “left” speaker running in tandem with a speaker in a different room.

I would speculate this this is analogous to why you can’t suddenly decide to run the Sonos sub with different speakers to the ones you initially bond it to, without first breaking that bond.

Yes, it would be a nice to have feature but I don’t see it happening.
Userlevel 2

Please add me too to the list of people requesting this functionality: living room with 2 Play 5 (gen 2), one  Sub (gen 2) l. Planning to buy a Beam that I would love to group to the Sub (and continue group the Sub to the 2 x Play 5)

thank you Sonos!

a

Please add me to the list too.

I have an open space with both a TV and a turntable setup. In terms of the room’s layout it makes no sense to connect the two setups. However the TV’s Arc could easily share a sub with a separate Amp and speakers connected to the turntables.  Two subs is out of the question. If I can’t connect the sub to both setups, there are better and cheaper options.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Please add me too!

Badge

+1 for this feature request.

With an open floor plan, my home thertre with arc, play 1 surrounds + sub, and my dining room with my play 5, the sub is pretty much exactly same inbetween the two set-ups. Would love to just use my play 5 w. sub vs having to activate the entire group to utilize the sub. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Me too, please. I would like to use the same Sub on my Arc based Home Cinema setup and with a pair of Fives for listening to music. 

This is f**king rediculous that we’re waiting for some simple software feature like dual group speaker pairing. Sonos get your s**t togerther. The fact that I must constantly re-pair a sub so that I can have 2 different speaker configurations in my main listening area is absurd. 

You make good speakers, but your software team sucks. The resent abysmal rollout of the S2 software update, and simple software edits to offer features like room setups is laughable. I can accomplish this with phillips HUE lights, and the fact that it takes your cracked staff over a year to get the memo is very disappointing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Can’t wait to try this later. Major change if it works as simply as this